Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Can Am 800 or Polaris 800

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009 | 07:33 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Can Am 800 or Polaris 800

Ok guys, found an add for a Cam Am 800 Outlander Max XT camo for sale.

Includes 3k winch, cargo boxes, removable windshield, heated grips and thumb, ITP Mud radials, gun racks and reciever hitches, and a set of <u>Tatou 4S tracks</u>. No hours or miles listed $12,500

I have never been around the Can Am's so I don't know diddley about them. But after buying my 700 and outfitting it with tracks I'm seriously considering another tracked machine for the wife.

So lay it on me, what do you guys think of the Can Am 800.

And yea I'm prepared for the thumping due to this forum being a bit partcial to Polaris, but the Can Am guys would just suger coat it.

Old 03-13-2009 | 08:43 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: WFOIdaho

Ok guys, found an add for a Cam Am 800 Outlander Max XT camo for sale.

Includes 3k winch, cargo boxes, removable windshield, heated grips and thumb, ITP Mud radials, gun racks and reciever hitches, and a set of <u>Tatou 4S tracks</u>. No hours or miles listed $12,500

I have never been around the Can Am's so I don't know diddley about them. But after buying my 700 and outfitting it with tracks I'm seriously considering another tracked machine for the wife.

So lay it on me, what do you guys think of the Can Am 800.

And yea I'm prepared for the thumping due to this forum being a bit partcial to Polaris, but the Can Am guys would just suger coat it.</end quote></div>

Go to www.trackshare.com and PM "Maxter"/ He has that machine/ combo with Commander tracks and is extremely knowledgeable.

Old 03-13-2009 | 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

Both are well made, Im afraid however that I would have to go with the Can Am just based on the repair and complaint records of the 800 Popo, to many thing go wrong with them, The Can Am seems to be a more balanced machine, The Polaris seems to be way overpowered for its Powertrain and break alot of Parts and melts alot of plastic, to many Clunks and clanks for that much money, And you cant beat the Can Am engines.

Old 03-13-2009 | 11:41 PM
Range Rover

If you don't mind owning a Canadian atv that's made in Mexico then go for it.I prefer to buy American as much as possible.The rotax engines make good power but I see way too many problems with their snowmobile engines for me to consider owning one.

Old 03-13-2009 | 11:54 PM
|
Trailblazer

I agree on the American made point. That's one of the reasons I went with the Polaris.

I just haven't heard much about the Can am's around here.

I know a quite a few guys that run skidoo sleds and they have mentioned that the new Rotax engines are better now than a while ago (mid 90's to 00).

But you never know till you ask.

Old 03-14-2009 | 12:11 AM
Range Rover

Don't get me wrong,I don't mean to knock any other brand.I live in the "snowmobile capital of the world".There are many dealerships nearby and visit them quite often to b.s. and buy parts because I work on sleds and atvs at home just for a little extra money for my toys and bad habits.I just get irritated when someone says don't buy that because their junk or mine is better than yours.Truth is they all have their problems and I would'nt say that any one brand is best.It's more important to buy what suits your needs.

PS.That price sounds a little high unless it's brand new.

Old 03-14-2009 | 06:46 AM
Pro Rider

If it were me I would be looking at smaller machines if buying for the wife, something in the 500 size range. You could get one for less money even with tracks and a lighter machine would be easier to handle and stay on top better! JMO.

Old 03-14-2009 | 07:29 AM
DCT
Banned

Based upon what I've read, and the people I've talked too, the reliability of those two machines seems to be comparable. The Can-Am's seem to have plenty of issues with weak frames, electronic issues, trani/belt issues... etc. The lingering issues with the Polaris 800 are well documented in this forum and other forums.

The edge in power will go to the Can-Am.
The edge in 4WD systems will go the Polaris (don't like the Visco-Lok on the Canned Ham)
The edge in ride will go to the Polaris (but most say the Can-Am is pretty good)

If it were me, I would take Mongrol's advice, and talk to the guy that has that Can-Am with a similar setup to what you are looking at. Plus, I would go through some popular Can-Am forums (like Aurorawheelers) and get more feedback on the Can-Am.

Good Luck

Old 03-14-2009 | 08:52 AM
Pro Rider

For that kind of money you could get a fully optioned XP 850 EPS with all the same equipment. For your wife, unless she's Xena the warrior princess, the EPS would be good when your talking tracks. Oh, that outty includes the tracks, but I think I'd spend a couple thousand more get a brand new XP. The nice thing about the XP is that the low range allows speeds up to 39 mph and is still low enough for the creeps. They make it in camo too.

Old 03-14-2009 | 09:06 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

I biggy in this arena is the fact that a "recoil" is not available on the larger motors, I certainly miss those days, as when the battery failed on my '07 X2 800 Poo, I was lucky enough to have a fellow ATV rider with a set of jumper cables on his ride. The battery is poorly placed on this model, and when Mud is mated to the battery, bad things happen

Quick Reply: Can Am 800 or Polaris 800