Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Are the K&N Filters worth the extra money?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the K&N Filters worth the extra money?

I had oil saturate my paper oem air filter (still trying to figure that issue out) therefore I need to replace it.
Are the K&N filters worth the money?
Do they affect performance?
If oil hits them can they still be cleaned?

Old 03-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nezz-I read your other post about the oil in the air box too. I had the same thing with my 04 Sportsman when I bought it used. I have a K&N filter on mine, nice filters, better air flow and they are reusable. Recharge kit is about 15 bucks, comes with cleaner and oil.

As for more oil, I don't think it will affect the K&N. The are designed for oil, unlike stock paper filters.

For the oil in the air box..a few things will cause this in addition to the what was mentioned.
Rollover, blow by which is probably unlikely with a newer machine, over filling of the oil. My 700 doesn't have a res tank, it's all in the crank case. When I did my first oil change, I put in exactly 2 qts, which was a little high but not bad until I forgot to turn the gas off when I trailered it out to my hunting spot. Ran through the woods, and would you know, the gas washed through to the crank case overfilling it and causing it to blow back to the air box. Changed the oil and made sure it was good and haven't had that problem since.

Make sure you go through your carb and check your plugs, it took a while for mine, but I ended up fouling out the plugs and I had reminents of oil/gas on top of the diaphram that should be dry.

If you dig in, might as well check your compression for piece of mind.

Kevan

Old 03-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probly better off with a foam filter like uni. Better filtration for dirt, suck for sand, then use k&n.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

K&N are def worth the money! If oiled properly and a outwears cover is installed the K&N will flow more air and filter better than any filter out there. Over the years I have used K&N's on everything from Hot Rods to Riding lawnmowers without fail! They will save big $$$$$ in the long run!

Old 03-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!

I like paper myself...........More airflow in my book = less protection...
K&N are great for the Black-top ,But for the Quads ........Not for me............Caper.........

Old 03-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

I lean towards Caper on this one. I like the idea of a factory clean filter when I change out. The pre-filter is easy to maintain and seems to catch more dust than the filter itself.......NoJoke

Old 03-16-2009, 03:41 AM
Pro Rider

i just got a k&n filter for my wheeler. ill keep my old (new ) filter still. but well see how well the k&n works out. ill used the pre filter on the k&n. it will either be the worst $38 i spent or the best...

Old 03-16-2009, 05:59 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

K&N is great but the foam filters such as UNI are good to and are cleanable on the trail if they get wet or oily

Old 03-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

I used to use K&N in everything, and on the street or in a lawnmower there is really no downside since they do last a long time.

However, what most people don't realize about ATVs is that they really suck! ....... No really, the PSI of air in an ATV intake are much higher than people think. Especially so on the sport machines. They suck much harder than a car or mower or anything else you probably drive or ride in your life. Then consider that they are ridden in the most nasty and gnarly conditions on the planet. The dirt and dust we ride our ATVs in would ruin a car engine in no time.

So to make a K&N work for an ATV, you need to oil it perfectly, and you need a secondary pre-filter (Outerwears) for the fine dust...... So when you add in the pre-filter you have to wonder if the K&N is providing much more flow then a good foam filter from Twin-Air or UNI. If the K&N was vastly better, every racer on the planet would use them and the truth is that they don't. In fact in comparison very few race teams use them in ATVs or Motocross/Supercross bikes.

So it becomes a battle ROI.....Can the K&N give you a better ROI then a foam filter? In a car perhaps, but for an ATV I don't really think it can. I think you end up breaking even at best compared to using foam. So if you want to use it, go ahead. But don't expect any real performance increase compared to a good foam filter.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

I gave in and purchased the K&N filter as my previous filter was satuated with oil. My reasoning is that if it gets oily agian I can clean it.

The dealer's opinion is that the K&N works better than paper on the Predator but the paper works better in the Sportsman because it is Fuel Injection.

Don't know if that holds water but that was his opinion.

Quick Reply: Are the K&N Filters worth the extra money?