Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Heat On Leg

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heat On Leg

Wear riding boots........problem solved.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat On Leg

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ss97

Wear riding boots........problem solved.</end quote></div>

Thanks...That's real helpful...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default Heat On Leg

It's a UTILITY ATV..so every time I use it to work around my property I need to wear riding boots? LOL..give me a break..I'm sure you wear riding boots when you hop on your Rancher.
I wear steel toed work boots..the heat still hits your calf..

Old 03-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Default Heat On Leg

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sctusa

Thanks...That's real helpful...[img][/img]</end quote></div>

Relax it was a joke........

Old 03-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Default Heat On Leg

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

It's a UTILITY ATV..so every time I use it to work around my property I need to wear riding boots? LOL..give me a break..I'm sure you wear riding boots when you hop on your Rancher.

I wear steel toed work boots..the heat still hits your calf..</end quote></div>

It was kidding...... No I don't wear riding boots on my Rancher.....but than again it does not burn my leg...... If it did I might consider it if I was going to be on it for an extended mowing or plowing session......

They make exhaust insulation wrap for cars that is used to dissipate heat for turbos. It is a fiberglass wrap that looks like tape. You could probably wrap the pipe in that to keep the heat off.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default Heat On Leg

It was kidding...... No I don't wear riding boots on my Rancher.....but than again it does not burn my leg...... If it did I might consider it if I was going to be on it for an extended mowing or plowing session......

They make exhaust insulation wrap for cars that is used to dissipate heat for turbos. It is a fiberglass wrap that looks like tape. You could probably wrap the pipe in that to keep the heat off.</end quote></div>

Hard to tell some when someone is kidding over the internet..I guess I can feel for the guys frustration..I was more than a little ticked off about the heat on mine...If you ride slow for a long period of time you have to keep you leg as far outboard on the foot well as possible and it is still uncomfortable. Like someone said before it really should have been addressed by Polaris..but we usually just fix little things like that ourselves,which minimizes the pressure on Polaris to do anything about it..heck for all I know Polaris might not have ever heard of the problem.
Why? Truthfully it is an easier and faster resoluition to wrap it than to try to get the manufacturer to fix it..but that does no service to future owners.
Yeah..the header wrap has been mentioned and probably is his best bet.

Not to get too far off topic but this brings up point that all achines have their little quirks that we modify or fix, over time doing that becomes normal to us for that machine and isn't seen as a "defect..that is another reason when a new machine comes out and a few people complain about a couple small issues and people start calling it 1st year bugs I have to laugh...

Old 03-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Heat On Leg

They make exhaust insulation wrap for cars that is used to dissipate heat for turbos. It is a fiberglass wrap that looks like tape. You could probably wrap the pipe in that to keep the heat off.</end quote></div>

Sorry for the snide comeback. Actually I have ridden with my 8" Harley boots, but it goes over the top and cooks my calf. Have not noticed any problems with the plastic yet.
Heat just pours out of that open area over the step...
Probably feel good in May when I head for Utah and the Paiute trail for a week or two...

Old 03-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Heat On Leg

heat is always been an issue on the 800's since they have made them and it seems like i read something about the ne 850's having the same issue a while back. this being my second 800 i have just learned to live w/ it and wearing boots and no shorts. it sucks for sure and i just didnt want to have to ceramic coat my exhaust which would be a good help to keeping the heat down or wrapping the exhaust. imo

Old 03-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Default Heat On Leg

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sctusa

Sorry for the snide comeback. Actually I have ridden with my 8" Harley boots, but it goes over the top and cooks my calf. Have not noticed any problems with the plastic yet.

Heat just pours out of that open area over the step...

Probably feel good in May when I head for Utah and the Paiute trail for a week or two...</end quote></div>

No problem..... I should have put a smiley face or "lol" in there..... Sometimes I forget that people cannot hear my tone when I say things on the Internet......

I've never looked at the 850 for that problem, but is there maybe a way to manufacture a heat shield to mount somewhere?

I ran into a guy once with a Raptor 660 that was modded for sand drags, and he had to make his own heat shields because the exhaust would cook his legs. He actually made them with standard auto exhaust clamps and a piece of sheet metal.

He basically drilled two holes in the sheet metal, bent it, and fed the U part of the exhaust clap through the metal and around the pipe, then clamped the it all around the pipe. Very cheap and very effective. I never really looked at the 850 to know if that might work but maybe its something you can look into.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Heat On Leg

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

heat is always been an issue on the 800's since they have made them and it seems like i read something about the ne 850's having the same issue a while back. this being my second 800 i have just learned to live w/ it and wearing boots and no shorts. it sucks for sure and i just didnt want to have to ceramic coat my exhaust which would be a good help to keeping the heat down or wrapping the exhaust. imo</end quote></div>

Just to clear it up..the 850 doesn't have the heat issue at all..it is a rare occasion to even feel a warm draft off the 850.

Quick Reply: Heat On Leg