Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Electrical Problem 2006 sportsman 450

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem 2006 sportsman 450

I have a 2006 Sportsman 450 that has served me well. But ever since I got it I have had problems with the battery. If I let it sit to long (in the winter) the battery drains and it will not start. I had the battery replaced and it seemed to help until this winter when things went haywire. Now it will not start with the electric start. It doesn't even try to start. I've charged the battery and tested it and it is fine. Also after I do start it (recoil) the RPMs read 0 at idle but go up when I throttle, and the battery light flashes when I rev it up to much. Before the idle RPMs was around 1100. Someone suggested I check the fuses but I'm not sure where to start or even where the fuses are. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer

Is there a relationship between the RPMs reported on the display and the CDI ignition?

It appears those are the only two things not working correctly. It will not start with the key (just click sound) and the RPMs are not reporting correctly (0 at idle and heavy throttle before they show anything.)

I tested the battery and its fine. I got a service manual and did the diagnostic and everything looks normal except the RPMs.

How do I know if the CDI is bad?

Old 03-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure if your machine falls under this but there has been a recall on the ECM modules. that would explain the battery drainage. maybe somebody else will verify that for you.
i dont think the cdi and the tach are connected (but i could be wrong) so maybe the tach sensor is out or a wire is broke and only making connection part of the time.
the starter is probably either a dirty starter or the solenoid is bad. try jumping across the two poles on the solenoid and see the starter will spin.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im pretty sure most all the 06' 450's had the recall for the bad ecm. most likely that is your problem as that little box controls alot of differnt features on the bike. have a dealer run the vin# to check on the recall.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!

Yes some 2006 450's may need more than one replaced....LOL....On my third one....LOL....

.................I have the Polaris Factory Manual and the are no fuses......Two solid State Circuit Breakers in the Sure Power Module Box......

The cooling fan may have been running without the key in the Quad.......Thus causing the dead Battery..............Caper............

Old 03-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you for the responses. I did have the recall done (so they told me.) I was a a wait list for a long time and told it would be weeks away. When I took it in for an oil change as part of a service agreement they miraculously had they part and did the recall work.

I'll try the starter test but I have to admit, I'm not very mechanical and I'm not sure what you are talking about.

I'll also try to find the tach sensor wire.

I've since decide it's probably not the CDI since it runs fine once started. (If the CDI is bad will the thing still run?) I think it has something to do with the starter.

It was a guy at my Polaris service center that told me to check the fuses. That kind of makes me wonder.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!

Mine still ran fine when I had trouble both times........Just to let you know......Caper..........

Old 03-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer

You had trouble with the recall ECM or the CDI?

Old 03-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer

I discovered something else today. When I give it some throttle right at the point where the RPMs start to go up, there is a clicking/rattling noise that is not there at idle.

Could all these problems have something to do with the hose that fell off my carb?

http://forums.atvconnection.co...id=11&threadid=563358

Not that the missing hose caused the problem but maybe gas was escaping where it shouldn't and shorted something.

Again, any insight would be appreciated.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HuntRanchRider

You had trouble with the recall ECM or the CDI?</end quote></div>

he had trouble w/ the ecm. i think hes on his 3rd one. i doubt the hose has anything to do w/ the noise but check to see where it goes. how many miles on this? just wondering if valves have adjusted.

Quick Reply: Electrical Problem 2006 sportsman 450