Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

American Eagle Plow mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American Eagle Plow mods

I have a 2004 500 HO ATP that I bought as a work vehicle around the woods and yard. The Glacier I was OK for snow plowing, but I have more than snow to push.

We just finished taking down more than 300 mature oak trees that caught the wilt spores after being damaged during a severe storm last May 25. I have a lot of large tree limbs and a layer of small branches to push around too. The Glacier I that came with the ATP just didn't hold up. Both the front and rear mounts are too narrow and bent.

I did lots of research and settled on the American Eagle Plow - even before I learned they were made nearby in Minnesota. The broad mounting in back and the straight push tubes are a good design.

HOWEVER, I had two problems. First, the blade sometimes rides up on top of the layer of small branches I am trying to push into piles. Second, branches that got under the blade and frame would pull the plow forward and 2 of the 4 bolts in the universal mount would drop of the Polaris frame plate. The mount was also knocked off when I backed over a small stump that hit the mount. The force of the stump on the mounting plate also jammed the mount forward and it dropped down

I drove over to American Manufacturing to talk to the guys there. (Keven and Mark are SUPER guys to talk to...VERY knowledgable and helpful.) They hadn't heard of this problem before, but Mark had some suggestions. I bought another universal mount (for a surprisingly low price!) to try out their idea.

I welded a piece of 3/16" steel on the top side of the universal mount:

Name:  ExtraTabNotMounted.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  86.8 KB

Then I bolted the mount to the frame plate and put a 3/8" bolt through the piece of steel and the frame plate to stop the universal mount from sliding forward from a forward force on the plow:

Name:  ExtraTabMounted.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  32.0 KB

That stops the forward motion of the universal mount upon a forward blow. BUT I still had the problem with the blade riding up on top of the sticks. So I fabricated a "brush rake" for the bottom edge of the blade using some scrap metal left over from previous metal projects. This works GREAT!!

Name:  BrushPlow.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  175.7 KB

Old 03-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

that blade lookes huge!! and mean!!! i like it..

chuck

Old 03-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MN04ATP
I did lots of research and settled on the American Eagle Plow - even before I learned they were made nearby in Minnesota. The broad mounting in back and the straight push tubes are a good design.
I drove over to American Manufacturing to talk to the guys there. (Keven and Mark are SUPER guys to talk to...VERY knowledgable and helpful.) They hadn't heard of this problem before, but Mark had some suggestions. I bought another universal mount (for a surprisingly low price!) to try out their idea.</end quote></div>

Looks Good!
I have to agree with your coment on American Manufacturing.I also dealt with Kevin on the pre production mount for the 850 XP.I tested the mount for them.He also gave me a great deal on the mount itself.