Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2008 SP 800 Reverse override How do I do it??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with your thumb. dumm dumm

Old 03-31-2009, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by stendori
you only need 2 wires out of the 4 to make it work w/ an on and off switch. the mode switch wont work anyways while in reverse. at leaste this is the ay mine is set up.
i looked at a wire diagram. theres 3 wires involved. dosent it have to disconect power from one wire to the other??? to make it go faster4x4 in reverse?

Old 03-31-2009, 03:25 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

actually it only uses 2 wires for an interupption of that circuit. it may not be the way that their kit does it as i dont know, but it works for me and my crude way lol.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:04 AM
Pro Rider

quick diagram of it. seems it dropes one circit and compleats another....
Name:  REVOVERRIDE.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  37.8 KB

Old 03-31-2009, 07:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reverse Override

Check out my post from last week on the mod. It has instructions on how to do the override with a toggle switch and the three headlight conversion with a relay. Haven't been able to post pics yet but it is pretty straight forward. On the reverse override you are only tapping in to two wires(gray/orange form the 16 pin connector in the headlight pod and the brown wire on the cig lighter/accessory plug). When the toggle is turned on you will not need to use the yellow override button. To use the button to scroll through the different cluster views all you need to do is turn the switch off. Hope this helps!

Old 03-31-2009, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider

Chuck – which service manual did you draw the schematic from? I think the wire you are showing jumping between ‘A’ and ‘F’ is actually just a depiction of the connector in the service manual. As you can see from your graphic – if that was a wire you would be shorting your 12v from the Red/Black wire to Ground on the Brown wire. That would be a BAD thing.

Now remove that wire from your graphic and the circuit becomes quite simple. The "blade" where the Brown wire (Ground) is connected to. A Normally Closed pole (N.C.) but no wires are connected to this pole, and a Normally Open pole (N.O.) which the Gray/Orange wire is connected to. When you push the Reverse Override button you are moving the blade to the N.O. pole thereby connecting the Brown wire to the Gray/Orange wire (thereby putting a ground on the Gray/Orange wire). When you install the Quadovator kit you will be installing a switch between the Gray/Orange wire and the Brown wire. Now instead of having to hold in the button for reverse override you just flick the Quadovator switch.

As a note, the Quadovator switch closes the circuit the same as the factory installed switch does - just that the factory installed switch is a momentary switch whereas the Quadovator is not. Installing this kit does not change the electrical characteristics of the circuit.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Got er done. Went to Radio Shack got a rocker for $3.25 and 10 min later it worked perfectly. I wanted to go with a round rocker since it matches the hand/thumb warmers. Thanks for your help guys!

Old 03-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Former Sponsor

pod

Attached Thumbnails 2008 SP 800 Reverse override How do I do it??-cimg9547.jpg  
Old 03-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

[QUOTE=*5 J's*;2768717]Chuck – which service manual did you draw the schematic from? I think the wire you are showing jumping between ‘A’ and ‘F’ is actually just a depiction of the connector in the service manual. As you can see from your graphic – if that was a wire you would be shorting your 12v from the Red/Black wire to Ground on the Brown wire. That would be a BAD thing.QUOTE]

after zooming closer on the wire diagram. yes you are right. my bad..... i will change it.

chuck

Old 03-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Former Sponsor

I used the gray/orange wire and brown accessory ground. Worked like a charm. Thanks again guys for your help!

Quick Reply: 2008 SP 800 Reverse override How do I do it??