Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sSportsman XP 550 VIBRATIONS AND RATTLES????

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool A lot of horse's in a small package

Originally Posted by DCT
And there's no excuse for it. The engineers at Polaris must have been on coffee brake during that test. LOL They could have done better... and probably will.

Anyhow, I've talked to a couple of guys locally that have walked away from a 550 for just that reason. One of them was right at the dealership. I know I would pass on one for just that reason. I'm sure it's a great quad otherwise, but that kind of stuff drives me crazy.
I guess you dont like Harley-Davidson motorcycle's either because they vibrate at idle to.
This noise concerned me too at first but i got use to it , now the ticking noise my dodge caravan makes when i start it just drives me nuts.
I think in the Polaris 550 it's the Horse's giving a couple kicks when you wake them up,all 40 of them.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

You all must not like high performance cars either. They shake the hell out of you. They even have "shaker" hoods. I don't have the noise after shutoff on my 550.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider
Question

Originally Posted by MEGA XP
You all must not like high performance cars either. They shake the hell out of you. They even have "shaker" hoods. I don't have the noise after shutoff on my 550.
Yours does not make a noise like a small motor spinning around right after turning it off? I have been on 3 different 550's and all 3 made this noise. It reminds me of the same noise as I used to hear when turning off my brute 750 I had. I enjoy the 550 more than my 800. It is the best all around quad I ever drove. IMO

Old 04-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by dslanec
Yours does not make a noise like a small motor spinning around right after turning it off? I have been on 3 different 550's and all 3 made this noise. It reminds me of the same noise as I used to hear when turning off my brute 750 I had. I enjoy the 550 more than my 800. It is the best all around quad I ever drove. IMO
Nope, no noise when I shut it down just stops. No spinning gear noises or anything. The only noise I have on mine that I don't like is the rear end noise in sub zero temps.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Fuel pumps on EFI engines are connected through the oil pressure switch and they are usually live even with the key off.The fuel pump should run for a few seconds after shutting the engine off,until the oil pressure drops and turns off the switch.
In this manner it wo`nt start until the oil pressure is sufficient to turn on the fuel pump.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:15 AM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by lobodog3
This noise concerned me too at first but i got use to it , now the ticking noise my dodge caravan makes when i start it just drives me nuts.
I think in the Polaris 550 it's the Horse's giving a couple kicks when you wake them up,all 40 of them.
Yep, that ticking noise would bug the hell out of me... it means that something is not quite right.

The 850 starts up and runs as smooth as silk... and that's 70 HP... and my point exactly. Polaris could have done the same thing with the 550, and I bet they will.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:19 AM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by MEGA XP
I love HP cars... they are "supposed" to have a some shake.

Whatever the case, I prefer the smooth delivery of power. I'm not buying that the 550 shakes and rattles because it is a HP motor... especially when a couple of folks have said they have no shakes or rattles.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Pro Rider
Exclamation

[QUOTE=DCT;2771570]Yep, that ticking noise would bug the hell out of me... it means that something is not quite right.

The noise upon shut off is NORMAL. There is nothing wrong with the machine it is designed to do this.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Pro Rider

Folks this is a non issue, it is a slight vibration, drive the dang thing and you will not hear, feel or see any vibration. So get out of the driveway and go for a ride. The 550 is an awesome machine, go riding and you will see.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DCT
I love HP cars... they are "supposed" to have a some shake.

Whatever the case, I prefer the smooth delivery of power. I'm not buying that the 550 shakes and rattles because it is a HP motor... especially when a couple of folks have said they have no shakes or rattles.
DCT, what I'm saying is that the 550 shakes no worse the the "best on earth" Honda 500's I own. I have only owned single cylinder ATV's, it's the nature of the beast. Like Ruggo said, get out and drive one and the minimal vibration at idle will be a distant memory. The power is way better than the 500's I've ridden. I'm 6'5" 270 and the XP accomadates in terms of comfort and power. Power delivery is extremely smooth, once your on the gas it just keeps pulling. I think the way the XP is broke in determines alot on how it idles and performs. I break everything in like the way I intend to use it. I find I have less problems that way.

Just thinking about the noise a shutoff, I never paid attention to it because it is the fuel pump. If you cycle the key on without starting it wait 5 seconds and then turn it back off you will here the noise. This is how I Know I have waited long enough in the cold weather starting procedure. After you here the fuel pump reset then your goo to give it another on cycle to get more fuel for start up.

Quick Reply: sSportsman XP 550 VIBRATIONS AND RATTLES????