Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Weird chunk of metal in my PVT Enclosure.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird chunk of metal in my PVT Enclosure.

Hi Everyone.

I recently purchased an 04 Scrambler and I just finished all the maintenance such as a complete fluid swap. oil gearcase hub, etc...... I even pulled of the PVT cover to check the belt. Everything looked great.

about a week later...

I was out putting around the yard yesterday and I heard something hitting the pvt plastic case. I opened the case and found this little gem that was bouncing around in there. I have taken some pictures of what I found and included one of the screws that holds the PVT cover on, so that you could see the size of the piece that I have found. I also noticed some small nicks between the pulleys.

I guess the question I have is. Does anyone recognize the part I found? And do I need new pulleys since they now have nicks in them from that part bouncing around in there?

Old 04-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

Don't know where the piece came from, almost looks like the end of a spring, i would think some very fine emory paper would smooth the nicks on the pulley. I have heard of people using emory paper during clutch maintenance.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

seems like you picked that up from the ground. itfound its way in from the air cooling duct just above the housing. throught the same air cooling duct water can and will enter if the water line is beyond that entry. also water is splashed into that entry when river crossing and thrashing through water.

IMO.................................!

Old 04-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would not have expected something this large to be able to get into the breather hole. Has anyone thought about putting a screen on there inlet hole? or would that restrict the airflow to much.

But I agree, It looks like a chunk off of a spring. That's why i was thinking it came off one of the clutch springs. Does anyone know of a white colored Polaris spring?

Old 04-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Range Rover

I agree it looks to be a piece of spring. hard to tell what takes place when buying a used bike. (Been There) As far as your sheaves I would just clean them up with emory cloth. I have seen worse lookin sheaves with damage from small gravel getting in there.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

Heel clicker uses a white spring in their clutch kit, but I think you would know it if you broke that spring.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it looks like the end of a spring too.

+1 on using emery cloth or crocus cloth to smooth out the nicks.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Range Rover

That is definitely one end of your secondary spring.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:23 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by plumbob
That is definitely one end of your secondary spring.
Concur..
Here is what the spring looks like..

Old 04-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ah HA! I believe you guys are correct. This makes sense now.

I noticed a little slippage the other day when I climbed a considerable size hill the other day. This would reinforce the idea that this is the secondary spring being messed up. I thought it was the belt slipping. Newbie mistake I guess. I'm still getting used to how this Polaris runs.

I'll do some more investigating as soon as I can. I'll take the secondary clutch apart and take a look. I'll be sure to post more pics!

Hmm....

If it is the spring, does anyone know where I can get a suitable replacement? Does anyone know what color the stock spring is? I am unsure if the person before me, has already put in an aftermarket spring.

Again, Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Weird chunk of metal in my PVT Enclosure.