Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

thanks guys I bought it

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks guys I bought it

Well my new 96 xplorer 300 4x4 should be home tomorrow. I think I will service all the fluids and such. A fellow refered to the MTX. Please advise me as to what that is. I have never owned a four wheeler before. All of this stuff is new to me. Do I dare go 1 inch bigger on the tires. Seems to be alot more options in the larger size.I would not think 1 inch would matter much, but what do I know! Is there a way to change the gearing so the front and rear tires are the same size? I am sure someone else has wanted to do this. I used the search but came up with nothing. Thanks everyone for helping me out.I really like the looks of the mud gear tire.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

Congratulations on the purchase! Enjoy and have fun.

Can't assist with the questions but someone with the right info will help out.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default !996 explorer300

Originally Posted by old polaris
Well my new 96 xplorer 300 4x4 should be home tomorrow. I think I will service all the fluids and such. A fellow refered to the MTX. Please advise me as to what that is. I have never owned a four wheeler before. All of this stuff is new to me. Do I dare go 1 inch bigger on the tires. Seems to be alot more options in the larger size.I would not think 1 inch would matter much, but what do I know! Is there a way to change the gearing so the front and rear tires are the same size? I am sure someone else has wanted to do this. I used the search but came up with nothing. Thanks everyone for helping me out.I really like the looks of the mud gear tire.

You will enjoy the ride what I did is I went to the Polaris website and registered. once you register you can get pdf.files of manuals. They don't have a manual for the 1996 explorer 300 but they do for the 1998 explorer 300 my dealer said the only differnce is the decals. So far he appears to be right. As for bigger tires I don't think I would. Right now I can go though about anything I need to with the tires that came on mine. Besides the speed for this is ATV is pretty good, I hit just over 50 mph with my gps and that was before I changed the dirty air filter. I still need to change the clutch drive belt it is worn down quite a bit so I think I can even do better than that. I like I said before I am a real big guy and it handles me and my 14 year old that is not a light weight eitherjust fine.

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me and I will try to answer your questions.
Have fun with it and enjoy your ATV just be safe,

Old 04-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer

Congrats on the purchase. I have a 2000 Xplorer 250. I went to 25's for tires and it didn't affect the way the wheeler feels for my riding style. I am not a speed freak, just an easy does it kinda guy. The 12" rims do make it easier to find tires (why I moved up to 25's).

Old 04-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Range Rover

GREAT BIKE

Tell you like I do everyone else...............

MAKE A AXLE PADDLE!

On the sprocket gaurd weld 5 or 6 pieces of angle iron to the gaurd. this will not only help you in the mud it will make being high centered on the trails and thing of the past.

The best mod for polaris SRA bikes!

Also Ebay has 27X12X10 mud bugs for 35bucks right now. Great light weight and comfortable tire for that bike.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

You wont be unhappy with it. I will have to caution you though, both of mine developed a problem within the last year. The air box cracked around the carburator boot on one while I was running threw so water and alittle got into it. Its fine but, I had to repair it. After repairing that one I looked at my other 300 and it was cracked in the exact same manner. Little epoxy fixed the second one, but the first had to be replaced. The air box is the only item I have replaced on either machine since we purchased them brand new in 1996. Not even a belt. Both quads have thousands of hours on them being used on the farm or pleasure. Both have been to Hatfield McCoy, Black Mountain, Haspin Acres, and several other atv parks. Good all around quads. Not the fastest, only 45 mph at best, but built solid.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:25 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

What size tires does the ATV have now? If you have 23" fronts and 24" backs and want to go 1" biger but stay off set, 24" and 25".

If you look on the net there are more tires available for odd size rims than you would think.

Example ITP makes a huge 27" Mudlite tire for a 10"

Old 04-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Got it home today.

I talked to my polaris dealer and told him I would like to go bigger on the tires. It now has 22 on front and 24 on rear. I asked if 23 on front and 25 on rear would be o.k. and he said no problem. Just keep the stagger size ratio the same. I think I will order the Mud Gear tire from Nebraska tire. Looks like a good tire at a good price. Free shipping too! I took the windshield off, but I kept the winch on. It looks a little better now.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

i like the axle paddles....great idea!!!!