Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman XP NOT LEGAL IN WISCONSIN !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are actually pretty stricked rules on the whole fireworks thing.. im originally from minnesota.. and moved out here a couple years ago.. but there are alotta rules for fireworks

Old 04-08-2009, 06:19 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Really don't understand what and why this is such a big issue in Wisconsin. Can it be that the piggybank is low on funds? Or is it to **** off the outdoor enthusiast by the tree huggers? What is the big deal on rim size?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like you were on it Chadley. That sucks for WIsconsin owners for sure. Hopefully some of the larger atv clubs, and owners can get together and organize something to have the laws changed. What good is a ten thousand pound machine if you cant take it to the trails. I have only ridden state trails once in 11 years of owning an atv, but I have kept my registration and insurance current the entire time. Some of the places we ride are illegal, but at least having the registration keeps me from getting one more pricey fine. If you are caught here on the road or state land they will get you for helmet, insurance, registration, identification, tresspassing, plus any other road laws that were broken. Hopefully you guys can get the law changed fast.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

my guess is that the atv with 14" wheels is getting to big to be called a atv
by the time you add a passenger seat it's almost the size of a small car

Old 04-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default XP

I'm in MN and unless something has changed in the last few weeks we can't register the 850XP's here either. My dealer says Polaris is lobbying hard to get it changed and for now people buying them are registering them as 550's until it changes. Something to do with the displacement because the cut-off for an atv is 800cc's at this time. Can't register it as a UTV because it's too light(or so I'm told). I know ATVAM is on top of it too. You'd think the bureaucrats would be more than happy to make them legal so they can get more tax $$$. Wonder how Arctic Cat got around that with that 1000cc beast they make. I assume it gets registered as a utv. I'm sure WI will rectify it soon as they are pretty atv friendly. Wish MN was more like that. For $30 a year I can get a non-resident sticker over there and ride on almost all trails there year 'round. They close off a ton of the snowmobile trails in MN in the two weeks it isn't Winter and can't ride on most of them in the Winter or it's like a $300 fine.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

This seems to be going on in other places too........ I've heard from other people in different states where an legislators are working on an "800" rule which is basically going to be a maximum 800cc and 800-pounds for any ATV, which kills the XP in both cases. Anything more than that will require a roll cage and seat belt.

I think maybe it is a good idea in some ways, but I hate legislation like that in general. The factories need to just police themselves and stop with the size race. I think Polaris ATVs are big enough at this point. They are going to require a roll cage and a seat belt soon enough because they are just too big for a human body to control.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

im suprised atv havent had to have a roll cage. its kinda like 3wheelers. tomany people got hurt becuse they were so tippy. so then no one could make an atc no more. or evon warning stickers. all it takes if for a few people to get hurt. then its on to make it safer, or change it.
i was just i a dealer ship not to long ago. they said any atv bigger than an 800 is not allowed on minnesota atv trails. but were up to 850cc atvs now. i can only imagine how big there gona be in the next 8yrs. atvs are already as big as a motocycle. just add turnsignals and subtract 2 wheels. atvs already have power steering, cabs, heaters, and are efis. personaly it seems the atvs are almost turning into small car/trucks. there adding power steering not to help at low speed but to control the atv becuse there getting bigger. how big is to big? youd think someone has to draw the line somewhere. but this is all my opion. id personaly would love to drive my atv anywhere city/county/state roads. i think the atv companys should fix what they have. make the atv more efficent. id like to see atvs get better mpg. better fuel useage. and so on.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:38 AM
BPM
Range Rover

I take it you guys are not from Mn. Yes you can register the 850 xp in Mn. When you go to register your 850 you can register it with CC's or Hp's. If you put it down as 70hp you are legal. If there going to put restrictions on CC for ATV's then they should also do it for snowmoblies which i don't think is right. Personaly I like the power of the xp's but IMO they could still could make something more powerful. If your body can't control an 800lb machine i can't figure out how all these people can drive these cars and motorcycles that are well over 800lb's. And its funny about the 14" rim also, the size of the tire is the same as every body else's atvs (26" tall tire). Who care's if you put a 20" rim on as long as you tire is the same size. All it does is make the machine more stable.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Wow!

Old 04-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

snowmobiles and atvs are in 2 differnt areas. id like to see you plow snow with a snowmobile. or do yard work. these are reasons snowmobiles dont need power steering. snomobiles do no actual work. there just for speed. least thats how i see it. you cant drive a snowmobile down a gravel or tar road. and power steering wouldnt help anyways since they dont do well on tar or cement anyways. minnesota hasent had alot of snow anyways. and if we do its only for a short time. then you only have so much time to drive it. least if you buy an atv you can use it yr round... like a car or truck.

Quick Reply: Sportsman XP NOT LEGAL IN WISCONSIN !!