Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman XP NOT LEGAL IN WISCONSIN !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009 | 10:13 AM
BPM
Range Rover

Rubber side down!! And it wouldn't be an issue. Thats just it theres a lot of people out there that don't know how to handle or ride an atv.
If your going to be dumb you gotta be tuff!

Old 04-15-2009 | 11:01 AM
Trailblazer
Default Post

How do you do your own post??

Old 04-15-2009 | 11:04 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by ss97
This seems to be going on in other places too........ I've heard from other people in different states where an legislators are working on an "800" rule which is basically going to be a maximum 800cc and 800-pounds for any ATV, which kills the XP in both cases. Anything more than that will require a roll cage and seat belt.

I think maybe it is a good idea in some ways, but I hate legislation like that in general. The factories need to just police themselves and stop with the size race. I think Polaris ATVs are big enough at this point. They are going to require a roll cage and a seat belt soon enough because they are just too big for a human body to control.

"a maximum 800cc and 800-pounds for any ATV" if this is a rule, I'm already over by weight as my - 08 500 X2 is about 830 lbs, dry weight, according to the Polaris brochure.

This just frosts my cookies, whats the difference in 14" rim's and no, this is nothing like a small Jeep which weigh's 1000's of lbs more as well as much higher & wider.

Old 04-17-2009 | 04:08 PM
Trailblazer
Exclamation Sportsman XP

Damn, sure hope the Dumb A** law makers in Michigan read this. Their making it hard enough for any ATV riders already.

Last edited by Douginmichigan; 04-17-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Type-O
Old 04-17-2009 | 07:02 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.

WOW... I feel for u guys. I'd move to a different state if New Mexico ever passed junk laws like that !!!

Old 04-17-2009 | 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ss97
It is not that you don't have the skill or the strength. I trust you are probably a great rider and a very strong 180 pounds. But at some point the physics takes over and it becomes humanly impossible to control. Someone 300 pounds will have a little more influence but still not enough as compared to a 200 pound man on a 400 pound ATV...... Obviously in order to equal the masses the rider of an 800 pound machine would need to weigh 400 pounds, that would equal the ratio.

Now don't get me wrong, there are times when a 400 pound sport machine, combined with speed, can become too much for a 180 pound rider to handle also. That threshold will exist in any configuration.

The problem is that the threshold is tipped in the ATV's favor at much slower speeds, and in more normal conditions when the machine is 800 pounds. When combined with the fact that these 800 pound machines can cover ground on par with a 400 pound 450cc machine makes them far more dangerous.

This is not to say that a bigger ATV is more dangerous by itself, obviously it is the rider and the conditions in which they are used. But in the past few years as they keep getting bigger, more people keep getting crushed in low speed accidents.

And its not so much the people here, most of us are serious and responsible ATV riders who know the limits of ourselves and our ATVs... But we are the exception to the rule. Most people just want BIGGER AND BADDER for the sake of bragging about it, they have not the skills nor ability to handle these ATVs. They have no concept of the responsibility they are taking on when they swing a leg over an 800 pound 70hp monster.

Last year there were 29 ATV deaths in NY state. This does not include UTVs.

Of those deaths I was able to collect info on 25 of them. I do this for a long term study I'm doing in cooperation (UTVs are not part) with a few other people. Of the 25 I have data on, 21 of them were people killed on Utility ATVs. Of that 21, 14 were crush deaths where the ATV rolled and killed the person at relatively low speeds. Of those 14, 11 of them were big bore Polaris ATVs, 2 were Arctic Cats, and 1 was a Can-Am. The 7 other deaths were children under 16 riding on full sized Utility ATV of various bore. The vast majority of these people were described as casual riders. Of them all only ONE was considered by his family to be an avid ATV enthusiast.

Of the 4 deaths on sport machines, 2 were on a Raptor 660, 1 was a Honda 400ex, and 1 was a Banshee. 1 of the 660 deaths was a DWI, one had no helmet. The 400ex rider hit a truck crossing a road and the Banshee rider again had no helmet was hit head on by a rider on a 450r who was injured but not killed. Again all 4 were considered "casual riders" by their friends and family.

Of the data my other researchers have collected, it is all very similar. We are seeing an increase in deaths over the past 5 years on Utility ATVs. The spike in line with the heavy big bores is totally obvious. This is why there are people starting to voice their concerns over the size battle. There are legitimate fears that there will be another anti-ATV backlash coming. We started this study as a defense of ATV riders, but we've learned there are a lot of stupid ones out there who are hurting the sport with irresponsible behavior.... I know, shocking...humans misusing something? Wow that never happens...lol.... But seriously my hope is that the manufacturers will stop the madness at some point. I think we've reach our maximum size at this point. We are bumping up against the edge.
Good info...I for one am not suprised....but guess what? It isn't the size of the machine that is at fault it is the rider and or circumstances IMO. Injury and death happen..imagine if we outlawed every thing that could cause serious injury or death?
It is funny I should see this since I just rolled my Polaris Sportsman 850 a couple days ago and posted about it before I read this post..I also stated in that post that a heavier rider might have been able to stop it from turning over..but I never blamed the machine,s size or it's manufacturer. We are adults here right..what ever happened to free will? ATVs already have so many warnings that it is likely that those who don't know the dangers would never even read them anyway. Now if big atvs were randomly killing innocent bystanders that would be different..but that is not the case is it? Personally I think the 3 wheeler ban is going too far...
I will say I am all about protecting kids and the laws against dumb adults letting kids do unsafe things(kids are fearless..let them live long enough to learn fear) ..but hey if you are an adult and you want to be dumb and kill youself,as long as you hurt no one else be my guest..that is natural selection.
I am fully aware a 900# machine is more dangerous than a 600 # machine. Obviously if the machine lands on top of someone it will likely end in a severe injury or death. When I rolled my 850 I knew the risks involved with what I was doing and was ready...and thankfully I reacted and jumped clear...
But there was another instance not long ago that had it not been for some luck(and the 850s power) I could have been killed no matter the machine. I was down in Florida I had rode a trail one day so I was familiar with it. 2 days later I rode the same trail again..on one section that desended I was running along at a good clip when right in front of me the trail was washed out..there was no time to stop so I nailed it and luckily cleared the wash out on pure speed..had I been a little slower or nailed the
brakes I likely would not be typing this regardless of what machine I was on.
Is it possible that those who buy a bigger more powerful ATV are also those whose more often seek the adrenaline rush? If you asked my family if I was an ATV enthusiast they may say yes..may say no..but if you asked if I liked speed and power and tend to push the envelope...they would definitely say yes..if I get killed on my 850 it won't because it is unsafe due to it's size..

Old 04-17-2009 | 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Double post

Old 04-18-2009 | 01:00 AM
Pro Rider
Arrow

Originally Posted by HawkeyeRider
WOW... I feel for u guys. I'd move to a different state if New Mexico ever passed junk laws like that !!!
Yeah...no doubt! I'd head north up I-25...

biz

Old 04-19-2009 | 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

You know what really sucks about the 14" wheel rule is that the XP can't register but I see people riding on the trails with aftermarket 14" wheels and no one hassles them one bit. Since the rule is in place it should be equal for everyone regardless if the machine came with 14" wheels or not. I personally think this rule is BS. This just goes to show how screwed up the government in Wisconsin is in relation to the outdoor enthusiasts.

Old 04-20-2009 | 08:23 AM
BPM
Range Rover

You said it HO i'm with you 100%. I think i'm going to pull off the 850xp decal's and have 800efi put in its place. Maybe this will keep the trail police off my butt. Because I'm heading to the big cheese state next month for a ride up in iron river.

Quick Reply: Sportsman XP NOT LEGAL IN WISCONSIN !!