Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Electrical Question & pull start

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:11 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

caper, theres isnt any reset buttons/switches though correct other then either turning key off or unhooking battery? w/ that much water in the recoil the cord handle either wsnt seated right or it set in water a long time.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for chiming in caper. i havent researched the ecm recall yet. i will do a google search. i have tried the key off/on thing to reset. no luck. i wish i knew what the fusible link looked like. all i see are connectors when i trace the wires. i even take them apart.....but no fuses. pulled the plug and it was fine. so i think hydrolock isnt the issue.

since my dad said he had the odometer 7 lights working when he hooked that jump station to it. (the good kind that throws serious amps) And he got the starter to click. i am still thinking he popped a fuse or circuit breaker. just got to figure out how to find it.

Originally Posted by caperinmuskoka
Yes the ECM does reset..........When my first one was giving me trouble..........Quad shutting off when the headlights were turned on, All I needed to do to reset the ECM was turn the key switch to the off position and wait a few seconds and start the Quad with the headlights off..........This worked in that case........Was there a recall on the 2007 Sp 450 for the ECM?
You did say this was a repo or auction sale.......May just a thought here with that much water in there and the Quad may have sat for a long time before the sale..............You may have GREEN copper wires somewhere.......
I have the Factory Service Manual(for my 2006 450) if you need me to look up anything for you......................Caper...........

Old 04-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

the owner prolly never even knew about the water in the recoil area or that you could drain it. when the rope doesnt seat properly water easily just goes right in the top of the hole. could be rain water.....could be river/creek water. who knows. it did have some rust coloration to it. it appears to have been running before with the recoil rope not working properly. looks like they just drug around behind the atv. crazy. i think it will run without the pull start working right?

what is the little round electrical part right off the battery? there is 12v to it....but no further. i just wonder if the ecm is the reason the power isnt making the right routes because it has tripped a breaker internally.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your talking about the solid black box that is bolted to the frame that is the starter solenoid.

the fusable link is usually in a black pouch just above that solenoid

Originally Posted by roy365
the owner prolly never even knew about the water in the recoil area or that you could drain it. when the rope doesnt seat properly water easily just goes right in the top of the hole. could be rain water.....could be river/creek water. who knows. it did have some rust coloration to it. it appears to have been running before with the recoil rope not working properly. looks like they just drug around behind the atv. crazy. i think it will run without the pull start working right?

what is the little round electrical part right off the battery? there is 12v to it....but no further. i just wonder if the ecm is the reason the power isnt making the right routes because it has tripped a breaker internally.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:05 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

People, silicone those pull handle into position and water will never get in there again. If you do need the pull rope in the future ,just pull and break the silicone seal.

Water and $300 stators should never meet.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

10-4. Will check there first thing. I was thinking if there was a fuse link it would be around there. It wouldnt be wrapped in that black convoluted wrapping would it?

Originally Posted by eggenz7
if your talking about the solid black box that is bolted to the frame that is the starter solenoid.

the fusable link is usually in a black pouch just above that solenoid

Old 04-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

i agree 100% thats a good idea on the silicone. well once i get this thing running first. i have no money in it YET.....so we will see what it will take.

Originally Posted by TLC
People, silicone those pull handle into position and water will never get in there again. If you do need the pull rope in the future ,just pull and break the silicone seal.

Water and $300 stators should never meet.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here is the findings after tracing down the entire electrical system. I am pretty confident a new ECM is in order. Not sure if the jump start caused this or not.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider

Contact cleaner and dielectric grease, better check inside recoil housing probably looks simular.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sprayed contact cleaner on it yesterday. Have to go pick up some dielectric grease at the store. Looks like it coulda used some initially. Recoil housing is next after i get this thing to at least turn over.

Quick Reply: Electrical Question & pull start