Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Electrical Question & pull start

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Question & pull start

Picked up a used/repo from an auction on a 2007 Sportsman 450. The battery was dead initially and my dad tried to jump it off with one of those mobile starting stations that prolly puts out a good bit of amps. Anyway, he said he got the screen to light up and the starter would click. Now i cant get anything to light up or click. Is there a fuse anywhere besides internally in the ECM i am missing? I have to trace back to where the problem is. Nothing happens when i turn the key. I cant seem to visually locate any fuse. Surely there is a safety feature before the ECM.

And the pull rope wont spool back up. i am going to drain it and go from there. Any suggestions or similar encounters?

Thanks to any/all!

Old 04-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you better hope he didnt just fry the electronics with the way over amp charger. try looking from the battery up thru for a fuseable link to see if it got tripped. just fui you need a good battery in these new bikes to keep them running and do not run this bike w/out a battery. imo.

checking an 500, if its the same theres a fuseable link by the solenoide.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

yes i know. it says the ecu performs three major functions. one of them a solid state circuit breaker output. The BAT PROT is protected from overloads & short circuits. It says it can be reset by removing load from it or turning the key switch or LHCA switch off. So what can i do to remove load from that part of system. I have removed battery and re-installed a new one. The switch function doesnt control anything now. I will try to find a fuseable link by solenoid.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by stendori
you better hope he didnt just fry the electronics with the way over amp charger. try looking from the battery up thru for a fuseable link to see if it got tripped. just fui you need a good battery in these new bikes to keep them running and do not run this bike w/out a battery. imo.

checking an 500, if its the same theres a fuseable link by the solenoide.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

im not sure where that info came from about resetting. it has a cdi box, ecm, but no ecu. only the efi models have the ecu's start tracing power up thur to the switch(make sure the kill switch isnt on and working) and is the spring broke in the starter recoil?? drain what out of it?

Old 04-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

sorry......ecm. where is a kill switch? i only know of the left hand on/off switch. the kill switch shouldnt hamper any of the lights or odometer from operation i wouldnt think. i am trying to print the details on the plastic removal right now to see if i can gain better access to any/all electrical components.

there is 10 or 12mm drain bolt on the pull start housing that enables you to drain any moisture or fluids that get inside. i am assuming and hoping the spring or recoil mechanism is whats broke. was waiting to see if i could get it running first to tackle that one, as there will be oil draining out if i remove the whole cover.

Originally Posted by stendori
im not sure where that info came from about resetting. it has a cdi box, ecm, but no ecu. only the efi models have the ecu's start tracing power up thur to the switch(make sure the kill switch isnt on and working) and is the spring broke in the starter recoil?? drain what out of it?

Old 04-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

how do you check these points anywhere to see if there is voltage when its connectors? do i probe in the wire with a simple 12v tester thats grounded? i have a meter with standard leads no clips or anything special.

oh and the drain bolt i took off, well it let out about 20oz of water. that was the good part, i guess. now i cant get the bolt back in the hole.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

wow, if you had that much water in there, i would plan on taking the recoil off to clean or de corrode it lol. the off/on switch is the kill switch i was refering too. yes you can use a 12 volt probe tester by grounding and probing the hot wires. did you find the fuseable link to see if it was bad or not? follow the power (+) side wire up from the battery to the solenoide to see if power is making it that far and so on.

Trending Topics

Old 04-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

recoil cover is eventually going to have to come off regardless for repair. i just wanna get some hope out of this thing before doing that. got the rear plastic off and side panels, now have to get the front plastic off. need to get to the circuit breaker outputs on the ecm. try there and the key switch. couldnt find any fuseable link. whats it look like?

Old 04-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

its usually in the line some where like in a black pouch of some kind. i would have to ask caper about any type of reset on the ecm as he has put 3 of them in his 450. did you see if you were getting power to the solenoide from the main batt. cable coming in? if so then there might be a wire going from the battery towards the switch area. but according to the wire diagram there is a fusebale link somewhere in there you may have over loaded it when you tried to boost it. just follow the battery cables up to the solenoide area. it should be in line somewhere. maybe someone who has this bike can tell you better ads i cant remember where it was on our 450. good luck.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the ECM does reset..........When my first one was giving me trouble..........Quad shutting off when the headlights were turned on, All I needed to do to reset the ECM was turn the key switch to the off position and wait a few seconds and start the Quad with the headlights off..........This worked in that case........Was there a recall on the 2007 Sp 450 for the ECM?
You did say this was a repo or auction sale.......May just a thought here with that much water in there and the Quad may have sat for a long time before the sale..............You may have GREEN copper wires somewhere.......
I have the Factory Service Manual(for my 2006 450) if you need me to look up anything for you......................Caper...........

Quick Reply: Electrical Question & pull start