Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First Post could use some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Post could use some help

Want to say thanks for all the information I've already gathered here - saved me a ton from going to the stealer. Ive done search after search, and can't find a clear convincing answer to which fluid to use in front differential. I recently picked up a 2002 Sportsman 700, decided to clean and freshen it all up. My manual and some posts here seem to say that the front differential should get the Polaris Premium Hub Oil (5oz.), but my dealer showed me his book, where it calls for, and he sold me, the Polaris Angle Drive Fluid (5oz.). The two fluids are very different, the hub oil is about the consistency of brake fluid, and that's what came out of my differential when I drained it. The Angle Drive fluid is similar to a 30 weight oil. I've read about the problems with AWD not disengaging and so forth, so I want to put the correct fluid in. Is anyone else running an 02+ twin machine with the Angle Drive fluid in the front diff? Who is still running with the Premium Hub Oil?
Thanks again for all the help so far guys.
I'll be around quite a bit, usually get my questions answered with the search feature, but I'll be around.
Brian

Old 04-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont beleave your bike has hubs as it should have the roller cage style hillard clutch. if you have your owners manual go w/ what it says.i think you need is the 5 oz of the prem. hub fluid but just a guess.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:22 AM
Range Rover
BUY AMERICAN!

You should only use POLARIS Demand Drive fluid in your front differental..anything else will cause it to stay locked in awd..I just serviced a friends 2002 700...

Old 04-15-2009, 06:29 AM
Pro Rider

Ditto on the demand drive fluid, I have an 03 700, thats all I use.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay, got my service manual today. It says 5 oz. of Premium Demand Drive Hub Fluid. I measured it out exactly in a measuring cup, then added it with a small funnel that has 3 feet of 1/4" fuel line - worked perfect. Started the machine up, took it for a spin around the yard, then hit the AWD button, the AWD light came on, but now only my rear tires are spinning, forward or reverse, - man is that a b***h. Any ideas why? Definitely the same fluid that was in there before, I'm certain the amount is correct, AWD was positively working before I changed fluid - what could have happened? I think I'm going back to the old "don't fix it unless it's broke" theory. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks guys

Old 04-16-2009, 05:53 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you didnt disturb any of the wires going down into the front end?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Wires are all secure, and if I understand correctly, the AWD light only comes on if the system is getting power.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider

No other symtoms? the speedometer shows the correct gear, L N H?, The tranny switch went bad on mine and caused no 4wd. Try fillling the diff till the fluid runs out the hole, probably wont help., Unplug wires at diff, see if there is 12 volts at plug, spray plug with some wd-40 when you put it back, if there is 12 volts to the plug then its in the diff, roller cage, armature plate ect.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't have an electrical test unit - yet. But did find out that AWD is working in forward gears, just not working in reverse. Any ideas why that would happen? And it was positively working in reverse prior to changing fluid. And thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Trailblazer

You might be aware of this already but I will mention anyway.
The AWD supposed to only work when the wheeler detects the rear wheels rotating/spinning more than the front wheels.
Put it in some light mud..
hopefully this helps.

Quick Reply: First Post could use some help