Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

(2) Scrambler Questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009 | 08:44 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default (2) Scrambler Questions.....

I am rebuilding the complete front end on my 2000 Scrambler.

The first question I have is, the manual doesn't tell me which way the strut seal goes in the bore on the strut. If I am pressing the seal in, should I see the outside race of the seal, or should I see the inside of the seal where the lip is and the spring is, after installed, which surface should I see?

Also, I bought 2 new Armor Tech shafts from Ebay off of Mazurs ATV. They listed for a 97-98 Scrambler, but he assured me they fit all years. Do these front drive shafts for the Scrambler fit all years?

I ask becasue I am have an issue with getting my a-arm to fit onto the ball joint, which is an aftermarklet All ***** ball joint. The a-arm won't go on unless I slide the ball joint into the a-arm, at the same time while feeding in the new shaft, then sticking the stru into the top strut mount on the frame.

It almost fits so tight, that I dont think I could get the a-arm off unless I take the strut out again.

Could I have the wrong shaft/ Could it be that the 97-98 are a bit longer?

Also, could I be missing a spacer for the ball joint? If I tighten the castle nut all the way down until there is no play, it almost jams the a-arm into the egde of the stru, and the castle nut grooves are about a 1/4" away from the hole for the cotter pin, which means the nut will loosen until it reaches the cotter pin, and the a-arm will not be tight....

Please help and thanks in advance....

JJ in Pittsburgh

Old 04-27-2009 | 07:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

[QUOTE=jjump;2784624]I am rebuilding the complete front end on my 2000 Scrambler.

The first question I have is, the manual doesn't tell me which way the strut seal goes in the bore on the strut. If I am pressing the seal in, should I see the outside race of the seal, or should I see the inside of the seal where the lip is and the spring is, after installed, which surface should I see?

Also, I bought 2 new Armor Tech shafts from Ebay off of Mazurs ATV. They listed for a 97-98 Scrambler, but he assured me they fit all years. Do these front drive shafts for the Scrambler fit all years?

I ask becasue I am have an issue with getting my a-arm to fit onto the ball joint, which is an aftermarklet All ***** ball joint. The a-arm won't go on unless I slide the ball joint into the a-arm, at the same time while feeding in the new shaft, then sticking the stru into the top strut mount on the frame.

It almost fits so tight, that I dont think I could get the a-arm off unless I take the strut out again.

Could I have the wrong shaft/ Could it be that the 97-98 are a bit longer?

Also, could I be missing a spacer for the ball joint? If I tighten the castle nut all the way down until there is no play, it almost jams the a-arm into the egde of the stru, and the castle nut grooves are about a 1/4" away from the hole for the cotter pin, which means the nut will loosen until it reaches the cotter pin, and the a-arm will not be tight....

Please help and thanks in advance....

JJ in Pittsburgh[/QUOTE
On the strut seal you should see the flat side of seal as you install it inside the housing. Dont press in too far can leak, should have about 3/8" clearance between seal back(flat side)and outer edge of inner strut casting. A lot of non OEM items on the market dont fit properly! I've seen this myself. Not sure on the brand of balljoints and driveshaft you have as to size differences,(other posters that may have used them may be able to help),but only thing I can think of on the balljoint is do you have the rubber balljoint boot in place,also is the threaded shaft of the balljoint longer or shorter than the stock one you removed?

Old 04-28-2009 | 06:43 AM
|
Trailblazer

I bought the stock seals, and I installed them the wrong way, only because the ones I pulled out were installed the same way, with the spring on the seal facing the gear box once the strut is installed.

As for the ball joint, I have not compared the lengths of the threaded shafts, bu the boot is installed, so, I take then there is no spacer or washer in there anywhere?

Justin