Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Camelbak

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:07 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what the front and back racks are for,let the ATV carry it not the rider.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by FunRide
HO. You have served in both Iraq and Afgan?
Yes I have..unfortunately didn't get to ride any ATVs in Afghanistan..seroius terrain..I mean serious..now that would be a place to ride....well minus the getting shot at..lol

TLC-If its hot and you go on a very long ride you would likely carry some water on the rack as well. But having the Camelback is very handy and tends to promote hydration because it is easy access..the tube is right at you shoulder area..no need to stop,or fumble with trying to get some water off the rack while on the machine. Once you get used to it,it is like it isn't even there..besides you aren't humping it..just sitting there with it on. Each to his own as they say.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Kinda funny how many in our little riding group went and got one for themselves after a few trips of me riding with mine. Surprised the wife even asked for her own.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE
Yes I have..unfortunately didn't get to ride any ATVs in Afghanistan..seroius terrain..I mean serious..now that would be a place to ride....well minus the getting shot at..lol

I'm sure I can speak for others here in thanking you for your service.

From the comfortable and safe abode in Maine, I can say it does indeed look like an awesome place to free ride. They'd shoot you dead for that ATV though...Talk about a target on your back.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Range Rover
First Things First!

If you want to buy 1 REI has a 25% off sale going now until the 10th. The web site was $4 cheaper than the store for the 1 (Lobo) I bought but I could try about 40 for fit at the store. It has been stop, dig out a bottle and take the helmet off to drink and riding in the summer in Utah thats a lot of stops.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I ride with one all the time, too. On the mountain bike it is much easier to drink while riding, and on the quad it offers a little extra back protection- and I have various first aid survival kind of stuff in it that is applicable to both sports.

IMHO they are better designed than the competition. The mesh like stuff on the back keeps them from getting sweaty, the shut off valve is nice to prevent something from pressing the bite valve open when its in the truck with the rest of the gear, and they just fit well and work well.

If you are going to get only one, I'd recommend the Blowfish. It is a mid-size one and the main compartment has a kind of bellow with a zipper so the pack isn't bulky when you don't need the capacity, but with the main compartment expanded it works well when you need to carry extra stuff (dawn to dusk mtn bike rides, winter ATV rides when you want to carry extra clothes).

Immediately rinsing them out and getting them dry seems to be the key to keeping them clean. The Camel dryer is worth having. They also make a cleaning kit, but I've found I can use a piece of torch welding rod to push a chunk of sponge through the hose. The newer Camel Backs have an opening big enough to reach in for cleaning. The shutoff valve also comes apart for cleaning.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bentarrow
If you want to buy 1 REI has a 25% off sale going now until the 10th.
Cool. I just happen to have a REI giftcard in my wallet.

I'll check out the blowfish as Jeff suggests. Last time I looked at them there was like 20 models on the wall.....I got that stunned look like in the grocery store when you're staring at all the shampoo bottles. Why so many I have not idea.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

I had one that would hold a 6 pack of "pop". Worked pretty good, the first bump you hit the "pop" would pressurize and you didn't even need to suck on the straw. Just bite the tube and it was just like a fountain of "pop" And it wouldn't get foamy untill it was empty because it would draw the "pop" from the bottom. Loved it until the "pop" got to me one night and I crashed and tore the straps from the backpack. Never decided to fix it, just left the "pop" in the cooler till I got back to camp LOL

Old 05-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer

I own 3 different camlebak models and absolutly swear by them. I have a smaller pack for MT. biking and lite hikes. Then a medium sized one for day to day use, suck as carring my lunch to work on the motorcycle. hiking with the kids or dogs. My wife has a larger one for overnight trips and vacations.
Do yourself a favor do not go for the imitations out there they are not as good or last as long. my MT bike one is somewhere over 10 yrs old and still works...