Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Brake lights don't work...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lights don't work...

I have a 2007 SP 800. Some time over the winter the brake lights quit working. Tail lights (running lights) still work, but will not show braking. The bulbs are good in both sides as far as I can tell. Where do I start? I do have an extended warranty if this gets to be a spendy thing, but would prefer to fix it myself if it is less than the deductible.

On a side note... The warranty on my Dodge is coming in nice. Just had an exhaust manifold warp and crack on my Durango. Covered with a $100 deductible... $800 normal price. And to think my wife had to nag me to transfer the 7/70000 warranty...

Old 05-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like maybe the pressure switch that activates the brake light is out/bad...you can try tapping into the wires and apply some voltage to the wires at the switch to see if the wiring/bulb is bad.

the way the system works on polaris's (as far as i know that is) there is a pressure switch that activates when the fluid pressurizes and sends juice to the bulbs

Old 05-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

yes there is a brake lamp switch infront of the fuel tank. i can see mine when you remove the front access cover under the nose cone and look though all the wires. its mounted to the frame. plug facing upwards. it has a red/white wire that is key hot. and a orange that goes to a splice, and then goes to the left and right taillight, ecu, pin 4 on the speedo diagnostic plug. id say start at the white 4 pin plug in the headlight pod, may also be hanging under the headlight pod. but take a test light and check pin 4 on that plug that is also the brake wire. it is a pos feed. if theres no power there while pressing the hand brake. apply 12v to it. if the brake lights come on that way id say its the brake light switch. then check the brakelight switch. see if theres power there. if theres no power thereis probly a wireing issue. but id say its the brake light switch.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a side note but have you checked the bulbs to make sure the filaments are still good? there are two in there...one for the tail lights the other for the brake

Old 05-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default Fixed

The dealer replaced the brake switch for free! They told me that that was the problem because it would not start in gear with the brake held. I told them it never did, and they ate the labor and part to fix it right there.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

sounds good.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:20 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

now thats a good dealer. i wish they were all as good as that one to you was. good customer PR brings them in more bussiness,

Old 06-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default Update...

When I took the machine out for it's next use the brake lights where on all the time. I had heard some bad things about this dealer, and thought I needed to make my own decisions. Now I learned my lesson.

They shorted out the brake switch, so now the lights are on all the time and it starts with or without the hand brake when in gear.

Today it should be fixed... But not by the same place. I took it over an hour away to a shop with a GREAT reputation. Too bad the local dealer lost any chance at further business from me. Also I am going to be making a complaint to Polaris. Not sure how much it will do, but at least I may feel better about it.