Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

broken front cv joint? hey,OPT I NEED YOU

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default broken front cv joint? hey,OPT I NEED YOU

2002 scrambler 400 4x4
i was riding today and in 2wd or 4wd every once and a while it would jerk hard to the right like the 4wd was kicking in on one wheel
i had this problem first last weekend since then i have dissassembled both front hubs and changed the armature plates and changed the fluid twice and everything else looked good , i rode yesterday and never noticed it doing that but today it felt the same way but one time it actually felt like my front right wheel was wobbeling back and forth almost as if the lug nuts were ready to fall off , they were tight so what i'm wondering is: was that my actual cv joint binding up and ready to let go
also the boots are both in great shape with no rips

Old 05-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Not common,but has happened to some of our customers. Cv joints can wear to the point that they will bind and snap even if the boots are good and cv not contaminated. Only question I can think of was the drive shaft nut torqued to 12 foot pounds? If too tight could have contributed,but usually the ones I've found broken are as you described or from jumping or hitting deep holes,but these usually just pull the cv and shaft apart!

Old 05-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the quick response
i think you might be right i hit a hole real hard a few weeks ago, and was suprised i did'nt do damage, .. but maybe i did huh is there any way to rebuild the joint or do i need a new one

Old 05-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I believe there are several posts on this and about people that repair cv joints, some other posters can advise,BUT I'm in a shop and I replace the cv joint or drive shaft assy depending on if the splines have been damaged on shaft also!

Old 05-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

thanks alot

Old 05-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you may want to check your bearing while your there as i've seen where the bearing get so bad they will jerk the wheel and then freeze up totally. just a thought.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by stendori
you may want to check your bearing while your there as i've seen where the bearing get so bad they will jerk the wheel and then freeze up totally. just a thought.

i will but. over the years i learned my "luck" favors the more expensive fix's

i did notice when i had that side apart , the shaft seamed to move in and out more than the other side,

Old 05-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default stendori or opt

ok now with the joint removed , the big end of the boot rolled back and the axle removed from the actual joint how do i remove the piece(cage?i think) that holds the ***** in there so i can totally disassemble it

Attached Thumbnails broken front cv joint?   hey,OPT I NEED YOU-pict0907.jpg  
Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you dont. you buy it as a unit. i've replaced a couple on mine and cleaned a couple if thats what your going to do. just make sure you regrease it good w/ the correct grease. imo

Old 05-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

the reason i want to disassemble it is
this is actually a good joint that came from another axle i replaced due to a stripped thread problem on the spindle is there any way to get the guts out of this and replace my worn parts

Quick Reply: broken front cv joint? hey,OPT I NEED YOU