Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

starter voltage and clutch align

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter voltage and clutch align

When cranking how much voltage should be across the starter? im getting 11-11.2? too low?
Also what is a good way to shim the secondary out to the proper alignment with the primary?
My secondary has 0 float and it always seems the belt sticks to one side of the primary and it creeps. Also how tight should the belt be run on these?

Thanks

Old 05-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you should be pushing 12 volts or close when cranking over. buit if it starts at that lower voltage and is charging fine when running, i wouldnt worry about it as my 800 sometimes goes down to 11.8 while its cranking over. depending on wheather its an ebs clutch is to how much tention on the belt. make sure the engine mounts are good on the engine so its not moving causing misalignment of the clutches.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer
Default battery voltage

Well it starts fine sometimes, but alot of the time the bendix won't engage.
I've had a new one put in, and it moves freely. I am back at the battery now as a source to why it takes 2-3 tries to get it to engage. I bought a canadian tire battery last year, and I'm hoping its the culprit. I have the EBS clutches, and have a heck of a time shifting as its always trying to drive itself. The primary is almost new, as well as the belt?? I also pryed up on the motor a bit and it seems tight. I tried checking alignment, but its almost impossible as theres nothing to referance to. Any ideas?

Old 05-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 99 Sportsman 500 EBS and the belt deflection should be 1 1/8" to 1 1/4".

Old 05-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default belt height

roughly how high does your belt ride in the secondary?
Mine is 1/16-1/8 out. My deflection is no where near that!! especially if the EBS pulley grooves arent in line with the grooves in the belt. The other question is i have huge clearance between the belt and the primary almost 1/8" Is this normal? I don't believe i have any shims on the spider, maybe one.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that is the correct height of the belt over the secondary. therre is a clutch aligment tool to use to make sure thie rset correctly. if the belt is rubbing hard on one side of the primary it might be out of alignment. its most likely the correct shim in theclutch unless its been apart. if the belt isnt dragging hard onthe clutch face and still is trying to creep ahead then maybe(common issue)the ebs bushing or fiber washer is worn out. there isnt too much belt deflection on an ebs clutch as if there was, then the ebs wouldnt work correctly. imo

Old 05-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

If your belt is not touching the primary sheeves what is turning your belt? Think about it. You just said you have an 1/8 gap at the primary the drive is most likely coming from the center of your primary . By adding shims to your secondary you will increase deflection and this should eliminate the tension between the primary and secondary at idle. This is a problem I have encountered after local dealer installed new clutches and belt. They told me you don't need to setup deflection on the new ebs clutch. So I bought 3 shims at 2$ each from him and my problem is gone.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Trailblazer
Default gap

1/8" gap when the belt is pushed to one side, where it goes naturally