Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

850XP or 550XP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Range Rover
Maybe you could have your wife talk to my wife?
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850XP or 550XP?

Hiya Folks,
I think I'm in the market for one of the new Polaris XP's. Without a doubt, I'd like to get the 850 version but I'm not sure I want to spend the extra cash for it vs. the 550. I plan to use this primarily for plowing snow and trail riding at altitude (approx. 8600' - 12000'). No hunting or heavy hauling etc... Can any of you that perhaps own each of these or perhaps have driven both give any insight into whether I will forever kick myself for not getting the 850? Or perhaps, the reasons to get the 550 instead (aside from costs)?
Thanks much,
cc

Old 05-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Trailblazer

For the extra $1100 or whatever, I'd go with the 850 XP, especially if your gonna be plowing with it. I was thinking about the 550 as well, until i tested the 850, its got all the power you'll need!

Old 05-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

eight-fitty yo!!!!!!!!!!!

im going to get one, one day.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dublin
Hiya Folks,
I think I'm in the market for one of the new Polaris XP's. Without a doubt, I'd like to get the 850 version but I'm not sure I want to spend the extra cash for it vs. the 550. I plan to use this primarily for plowing snow and trail riding at altitude (approx. 8600' - 12000'). No hunting or heavy hauling etc... Can any of you that perhaps own each of these or perhaps have driven both give any insight into whether I will forever kick myself for not getting the 850? Or perhaps, the reasons to get the 550 instead (aside from costs)?
Thanks much,
cc
Dublin ..... I own both a 550 & 850, I also am a newbie to ATV's so not speaking from much experience unlike alot of these other folks with years of knowledge. Not sure how plowing with an 850 vs 550 but I suspect the info you get on that will be important feedback. What I have said in the past when answering that question is that it really depends on the individual. I'm old and slow at this stage of my life but I have always been involved with various motorsports, enduro's, hare scrambles, road racing, sprint cars, ect. As a result while I may be slow and safety minded now I still REALLY enjoy Horse Power and Torque! So I absolutely love the 850, darn it brings a smile to my face when I squeeze that throttle and that quad hunkers down and goes. For ME if I drove an 850 after buying the 550 I would have been disappointed. On the other hand a 550 is more than fast enough and has plenty of power which are two important pieces right, speed and power and the 550 has plenty. I suspect for general use and reasonable riding the 550 is the perfect quad. Great ride, better gas mileage than an 850, good performance and brakes.

So if you're the type that likes feeling the acceleration and HP's in general then you should consider the 850. If you view the quad as a work machine and not interested in speed and power than the 550 may be a better choice. Best to get to a dealer and drive one for yourself.

- Ruggo

Old 05-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

Have you rode an ATV at those altitudes? I assume you have so you know the power is way down from sea level. If it were me riding at those altitudes...850 no question..better to have it an not need it that vice versa..12000 ft is no joke...

Old 05-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Range Rover

Thanks folks for all the advice. As for the altitude, yes I have ridden at those altitudes before. Trouble is, I haven't at sea level so I really don't have a good gauge for the difference. With fuel injection, I would think it shouldn't matter but I may be wrong. I will try to get into a dealer and try them both out. I'm sure I'll want the 850 but the 550 may be enough. I'm still curious how a 550 would do on plowing.
Cheers,
cc

Old 05-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks folks for all the advice. As for the altitude, yes I have ridden at those altitudes before. Trouble is, I haven't at sea level so I really don't have a good gauge for the difference. With fuel injection, I would think it shouldn't matter but I may be wrong. I will try to get into a dealer and try them both out. I'm sure I'll want the 850 but the 550 may be enough. I'm still curious how a 550 would do on plowing.
Cheers,
cc
EFI only compensates for fuel mixture..there is still less air to make power per stroke..trust me take a machine from 12000 to sea level and you would be AMAZED at the difference...night and day.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Trailblazer

I was wondering what the fuel consumption difference may be? Ruggo do you find yourself fueling the 850 alot more than your 550 when out trail riding? I currently have 2 500's and will be upgrading to a 700,800 or 850 next year if i can =).

Old 05-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE
EFI only compensates for fuel mixture..there is still less air to make power per stroke..trust me take a machine from 12000 to sea level and you would be AMAZED at the difference...night and day.
Gotcha. So what you're really saying is I would need a supercharger too!
Cheers,
cc

Old 05-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Gotcha. So what you're really saying is I would need a supercharger too!
Cheers,
cc
LOL...no what I was saying is the power a machine makes at sea level will be alot more than at 12000. So you can't take peoples experiences about a machine at or near sea level and expect the machine to perform like that at 12000 ft. Thats all I was saying..good luck on your choice.

BTW..a Supercharger would be nice though... but you would have to pulley it at a higher ratio to achieve a given boost level(psi) than someone running at or near sea level would..lol A turbo would be better as it's wastegate is not affected by altitude and it would make the commanded boost regardless of altitude,providing the turbo was sufficient to support that boost pressure for the given altitude...

Quick Reply: 850XP or 550XP?