Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

XPs metal frame

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:11 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XPs metal frame

I heard from a riding buddy that there is some data on the NEW XP's frame design as NOT being as strong as the long running reputable SPORTSMAN frame design. Is this true?

Regards,

R'

Old 05-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they loose any weight going from one to the other..........Sportsman's are known to have a few more pounds over the others and for this is one of the reasons I went with the line-up.

I am sure if you ask any rider to give up 10-20 pounds for a more stronger frame they would say yes.......Except on a sport Quad maybe.........But with the jumps and adbuse they take, also I'll still take the extra pounds. .........
I sure hope they did not cut any corners with the new XP frame/welds....Caper......

Last edited by caperinmuskoka; 05-21-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't heard anything like that. Also haven't heard of anyone bending an XP frame. If I had to guess I'd say people are making ASSumptions based on the XP looking sportier and narrower in the center and the fact that they went to a tubular frame..but if you look at how it is designed it seems like it would be extremely strong..the frame is very centralized with alot of bracing. I really dont see bending the frame without being in a pretty severe crash..I'd say if you bend the XP frame,with exception of maybe the a-arm mount tabs(which I don't consider really the frame) the frame will be the last of your worries..youll be more beat up than the bike JMO.
They definitely didn't cut any weight..the 850 weighs around 784 dry IIRC.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:45 PM
DCT
Banned

Rick,

As HO said, I wouldn't worry about the frame... it's not a CAN-AM. LOL I also had a close up look and some ride time on the 850... you would have to do something crazy to hurt that frame.

Now, the A-Arms and ball joints might be another story... jury is still out on that.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Ohh sorry for any misconceptions with this thread. Its not a decision based discussion for me but just an honest discourse on the subject.

There are apparently internet reports of the newer frames being softer and people easily (compared to the former Sportsman design) bending them up.

I wanted to hear from you all who have them or know if there is any truth to this hearsay?

Thanks,

R'

Old 05-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by RticKwad
Ohh sorry for any misconceptions with this thread. Its not a decision based discussion for me but just an honest discourse on the subject.

There are apparently internet reports of the newer frames being softer and people easily (compared to the former Sportsman design) bending them up.

I wanted to hear from you all who have them or know if there is any truth to this hearsay?

Thanks,

R'
Hey R' could you give us some links? I have to read about this myself...I've come down on some large logs(ie high centered with all 4 tires off the ground) pretty hard and never felt a hint of flex and no damage done...
For instance I have pulled up to a large log nailed it real quick to lift the front end to get it over the log then let out and the machine crashes down on the log..rock forward and climb over..other than leaving some marks on the edge of the footwell plastic no other damage at all..if that don't bend it it aint going to bend without hitting a tree or another machine at some pretty good speed.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea like I said, I am not sure if its just hearsay? I have NO links only a pretty reliable source, I will search a little too. But I would think if this is a common enough issue there should be more reports on the internet. IMO!

Regards,

R'

Trending Topics

Old 05-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF it was common ......i think we would have heard about it here.......ATV connection Forums ............Caper.........

Old 05-22-2009, 05:15 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would say if that would have ben ture they would have advertised it when they first came out like an alum or some other type of frame. imo

Old 05-22-2009, 07:01 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Its easy enough to spot if a frame is steel vs Aluminum Alloy by just looking. Since the XP have light Alloy rims stock and still are the heaviest ATVs in there class,one would think the frames are still as beefy as always or where else does the weight come from?

Quick Reply: XPs metal frame