Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF you want a bare reliable basic quad go honda. If you want a badass loaded reliable quad with way more features than a honda go popo

Old 05-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

I beat the crap outta my SP500HO, and never once walked out, or got towed. I did spend some time pulling others out of mud holes, but I rate the reliability as very good. More so than my prairie 300.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:42 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I go fishing every year with 12 different ATVs with every different manufacturers they all seem to work great to me. Honda are reliable because the featureless, Only two models have liquid cooling and IRS and none have true AWD or diff lock, all have the least HP of any ATV in there class so I guess parts are under less stress . A 27 hp 500 will be easier on the dive train then a 500 with 35-40 HP I would guess.

My old Yamaha 350 Big Bear and Honda 450 Foreman were super reliable but as fun to ride as billy goat,compared to my Polaris.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Range Rover

Thats one I'll be throwing a leg over today, the 700 efi big bear. What do you guys think of that one.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:00 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

There called Grizzlies and there great ATVs, I ride with 660 grizzly thats is alot of fun and I would guess the 700 would be even more so they have every feature available on them.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Jack, im in the same boat you are currently. I`m hopefully a month away from my own bike as well. The Polaris 550XP w/EPS 09 and the 09Grizzly 550 FI w/EPS are what im looking at. Both bikes are amazing and each side gets bashed by the other but all in all, they both tie for top dog in the 500 class, I personally am going for the 550Grizzly, but the 700s are even better. But like the other guys said, Do not listen to others, their opinions are ok but dont base your choice on somebody else saying this or that is junk, Try it out for yourself then choose, Its what im doing, also basing it off your price limits does make it hard to lol.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

I have 2 Honda Rubicons both have been flawless in term of reliability. The 550 XP I've had since January but, has been stellar. Let me tell you EFI for cold weather starting is the only way to go. The ride is way better cause of the IRS but the XP is also a better at towing cause of its wider ranged low gear. The Rubi's tranny is awesome an so far I have been impressed with the XP's tranny. When I bought the XP I was in the same boat as you. Having two Rubi's already, I wanted something different. The choice, for me, came down to a Rincon 680EFI EPS, A Grizzly 550 EFI EPS, and the XP 550 EFI EPS. The POPO was the most money, but also had fetures the others did not, like the AWD (Honda 3 wheel drive), cast aluminum Rims (vs Honda stamped aluminum and Yamaha steel), better brakes, better stock tire, better descent control, Pod light for plowing ( yamaha does not have), Lock and ride system, Nicer sounding exhaust, Super nice ride and a ton of ground clearance. Like other have said, test them for yourself. Before riding the XP I had the same thoughts about Polaris, now I think that Polaris has recieved some undue criticism from some that have never ridden/ owned one. I used to be one of those guys, until Honda failed to make a machine that I wanted. (500 class for fuel economy, EFI for cold starting, IRS for smooth ride, EPS for the ease when plowing a locked front end for better traction. When I went to the dealer I was going to buy a Yamaha but the XP looked so much better sitting right beside it.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Range Rover

Yes the styling on the xp is awesome, it looks fantastic. I did just get 2 grizzlies though cause I wasnt happy with the polaris dealer up here, they just werent as helpful in fact every time I went there I left more confused than when I arrived, I didnt care for they way the arctic cat looked and although the king quad was killer it had no powersteering. The guys told me that they were having the most fun on the grizzlies so I got em. I was very suprised at the power the 550's had, they really got up and went even with my 350 pound *** on them they still roared down the trail with authority. And they were smooth as butter and the IRS worked sweet. My favorite options are power steering / IRS / EFI.
Name:  mygrizzlies006.jpg
Views: 2660
Size:  77.9 KB
Name:  mygrizzlies001.jpg
Views: 2716
Size:  95.8 KB

Old 05-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, i kinda decided not to go with a honda either cause of no good IFS bikes in the 550area to.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Range Rover

I was a die hard honda man from hell but lack of power and features drove me into the arms of another.

Quick Reply: polaris reliability?