Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris reliability?

Hi gents, I am researching 4x4 atv's and am getting one this week, I love honda for their reliiability and resale value but my dealer has a beautiful xp 550 just screaming to have me take it home but I'm a bit worried having read all those nasty youtube comments about them being plagued with break downs. Plus my brother knows a guy with 4 of them and they are all broke down Always!! My question is this...is it just the older ones breaking? I need to get a good idea of how reliable these things are, please forgive my ignorance in this matter as I have not even sat on an atv in 12 years and am clueless as to what I should buy.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

You have to take any of those vidoes with a grain of salt. What were they doing to make them break down? Had I not switched over to something sportier, I would have probably looked very closely at getting another Polaris. Already have two, and since they are both only 2wd, it's not a fair comparison, but I have several family members amazed that the 2000 Trail Boss still runs after all it's been through. Trust me, it has not been babied at all. Still, if I had to say which of the 5 full sized (3 popo, 1 kawi, 1 can am) I've had, was most dependable, it would be it.

The following users liked this post:
Bill Ackerman (12-18-2020)
Old 05-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Range Rover

This one guy made a remark to a polaris owner that keeps ringing in my head, (have fun walking out of the woods #*%!!hole), that bothered me and is stuck in my head everytime I look at that beautiful xp 550. By the way your post count is unreal!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

It's easy to say that about any brand. Honestly, if you do the proper maintenance, any brand will be ok. Some take mods better than others, but then again, that can go back to the parts used.

Yeah, I kinda need something to keep me entertained while I "work".

Old 05-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polaris

I have owned a number of Sportsman's from 2000 to my current 09 800. Other than making the mistake once with my 02 700 of installing a aftermarket belt that shredded with less than 100 miles on it I have never been left stranded. None of my machines were babied either. They spent their lives up to the racks in mud/swamp. Rode with a bunch of guys that had just about every machine out there and the Polaris walked around them in mud holes while they were stuck. My machines also spend the winter months plowing and I use the heck out of themfor yard projects so they are very versatile. Ditto on the other posts about keeping up on cleaning/maintaining and you should have good luck.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

it seems more often than not, the people dis'n the polaris atv's have no clue about them and never ridden one and they are usually the people that bought the brand they own based on what their peers think is best with out ever really using their own brain
look how long polaris has been around and be confident in their product

i could kill any brand name quad in less than a month, with enough abuse any brand will fail!
or take care of it and it'll take care of you

Old 05-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I can only tell you that we've had very good reliability with our machines. We use them probably 75% of the time for chores like pulling firewood around on the hills of VT to bring home to burn in MA. Both machines have well over 1,000 miles on them. My son did shred a belt. From what he said he was doing a lot of slow speed stuff in Hi range. Other than that, considering the abuse they take from us, they have been trouble free. They have a fantastic comfortable ride too. I have a bad disk that limits a lot of what I can do, but riding doesn't really bother it on my quad. That's how nice the ride is. We've gone through snow, deep mud and water, miles and miles of rocks, and soft sand play. Great machines from our point of view.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris reliability

I have 2 Sportsmans 500's . Never a problem with either,. You could have a problem with any machine out there. Don't get too hung up on what others say. The people that put down other machines usually are doing it for a purpose. That purpose is to brag about their own machine. Their's is always better, faster, cheaper, etc..... Don't always belive it. I could say something bad about every brand out there. If you can get a good deal go for it. Jim

Old 05-21-2009, 03:41 PM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack mehoff
Hi gents, I am researching 4x4 atv's and am getting one this week, I love honda for their reliiability and resale value but my dealer has a beautiful xp 550 just screaming to have me take it home but I'm a bit worried having read all those nasty youtube comments about them being plagued with break downs. Plus my brother knows a guy with 4 of them and they are all broke down Always!! My question is this...is it just the older ones breaking? I need to get a good idea of how reliable these things are, please forgive my ignorance in this matter as I have not even sat on an atv in 12 years and am clueless as to what I should buy.
Haven't seen or heard of any issues with the 550's other than the engine vibration.

I think if you break it in right, maintain it well, and don't submerge it in mud or water, or put 31" mud tires on it, you'll be fine.

Stock is good.

There are a few guys on this site and others with 550's... ask around.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:43 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Owned an 01, two 02s an 04 and 05 and all have been reliable (All SP 500s). I have ridden the new 550 and it is quicker than the 500HOs.

Quick Reply: polaris reliability?