Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

99 scrambler front 4x4 problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:30 PM
afk
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 99 scrambler front 4x4 problem.

hello! i been having a bit of an issue and after me and a buddy whos been working on atvs for about 20 years came across this issue and we are confused.
issue is..

the front wheel drive is having issues. sometimes the left wheel kicks in most of the time it don't. we been unable to figure this out. when i got the atv it was missing the cv axle. i replaced it so i know the teeth are good we ripped it apart the barings are fine. don't look worn. the little black thing with the 3 teeth was in backwords. but fixed that. put it back togeather and it worked fine till the suspensuion gets a good hit. i thought maybe the axle was slipping out of place but i doubt this. sometimes! the wheel kicks in in 2 wheel drive? i conrtacted a dealership but there no help "oh just gut the entire side and replace everything" i was told perhaps a magnet or a wire could be the issue. but i'm confused. sometimes it works but mostly don't. what could be causing this issue. "yes the axle is spining out of the differental"

things i've tried.

checking all barings
checked to be sure there in right.
took apart both sides to make sure they were in right.

again it never worked when i got it somehow the kid before me Snaped the axle. any help would be cool. it just makes no sense everytime we put it back togeather it works? can't stop the wheel if u tried. but then u ride it and Wham quits working and fails to work again till u rip it down.

NOW
i been told by the dealership some years in this range had longer cv joint and smaller cv axle and vise versa. only thing i came 2 is maybe i have both a small cv axle and small joint so maybe its sliding loose? but i doubt this. anyways thanks for reading look fwd to replys.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Those babies are electric if my memory serves me right, and it depends on how tight teh magnet is as well. I have a '00 Ranger 6x6 with same set up, and if you crank that lock nut down, no clearance for magnet, back it off a bit, I have not had a problem since

Old 05-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

These post I have pasted from other threads. They pretty much explain the AWD issues.
Now depending on alot of things including error on the install of the new parts(no insult intended, it happens to us all) it could be other things. But assuming all is correct then these post should help....

1)... For the folks who question the Polaris AWD. For 99% of the unwanted engagement problems this is the main reason for it. Maybe Polaris should put some type of saftey switch or something in that made it to where you had to stop. But that would defeat the purpose of the "ON DEMAND" feature. I personally love the system even though on my first one I had an issue like what is described below. I do wish dealers would do more in education to let customers know how to prevent the issues they unknowingly cause.
It is rare for the Awd to grab while in 2wd. In rare conditions like maybe on ice or on a lift sometimes when you get the rear wheels spinning at about 45-50 mph it can try and snap in. In MOST cases as long as the front wheels were moving at some speed (it doesn't have to be alot) the front wheels would not engage. On the other hand, if you do alot of wheelies or jumping with the AWD turned on you can cause this to happen. The propshaft can twist itself out of index and cause a vibration that can cause unwanted engagement. For those that don't know, The AWD doesn't engage until the rear wheels slip. If you have it turned on and go and jump off a ramp or hill or whatever you can get air on when you leave the ground the rear wheels increase dramaticly in speed and since they are spinning faster than the front wheels, the awd engages and it slams in really hard to catch the front wheels up with the rear. When this happens it puts way more stress on the propshaft than under normal engagements and it will overtime twist itself out of index. The yokes change there alignments and this causes the engagement issue. So if you keep it in 2wd unless you need it may help reduce the possibility of this happening. This has caused the unwanted engagement in all but one and it was a warped front driveshaft. Oh, and don't say you don't play like that in 4WD, we all do. Maybe we forget its on or just not think about it. But I bet you will now. The AWD setup on the Polaris is simple. So simple it can give you a headache when there is a problem

2)...Alright guys. I'll tell you why one of the wheels engages at higher speeds. It's actually your fault and you didn't even know it was happening. Its more likely to happen on scramblers because of the wheel and axle speed. When your atv leaves the ground and the AWD is engaged, this causes the front wheels to slam in to gear. Enough times of doing this and it twist the prop shaft out of index. When this happens it causes a vibration. You may not feel it, but it's there. The vibration causes an elctro magnetic current which will cause the hub to engage. I know it sounds crazy but its true. It kinda makes the shaft the north pole and the hub the south pole of a magnet (bad way of explaining) but you get the idea. A warped axle can also cause this but the prop shaft is most likely the case. So if you are off jumping around on your wheeler make sure she is in 2wd. To check the front drive shafts jack up the wheeler and put it in gear. Hold the front wheels still (leave in 2wd) and if the wheel wabbles then you've got an axle bent. The main reason It pulls is because the gear ratio on a Polaris front end is different from the rear in most cases. This can help in the mud but can make it pull when the wheels don't unlock. I'm sure this can happen on the new style AWD but you arn't likely to notice it because of the wheels engaging off of a single hub

Old 06-19-2009, 02:06 AM
afk
Weekend Warrior

yes its very odd. the system works fine after i rip it down tap it all out and reinstall. but then 2 days later it quits working again. i don't jump the atv i don't trust it due to weight. i've been unable to find the issue. i've replaced the hub clutch now. same issue. its just getting anooying. maybe its time to sell and buy another brand.

Originally Posted by ncriderforks
These post I have pasted from other threads. They pretty much explain the AWD issues.
Now depending on alot of things including error on the install of the new parts(no insult intended, it happens to us all) it could be other things. But assuming all is correct then these post should help....

1)... For the folks who question the Polaris AWD. For 99% of the unwanted engagement problems this is the main reason for it. Maybe Polaris should put some type of saftey switch or something in that made it to where you had to stop. But that would defeat the purpose of the "ON DEMAND" feature. I personally love the system even though on my first one I had an issue like what is described below. I do wish dealers would do more in education to let customers know how to prevent the issues they unknowingly cause.
It is rare for the Awd to grab while in 2wd. In rare conditions like maybe on ice or on a lift sometimes when you get the rear wheels spinning at about 45-50 mph it can try and snap in. In MOST cases as long as the front wheels were moving at some speed (it doesn't have to be alot) the front wheels would not engage. On the other hand, if you do alot of wheelies or jumping with the AWD turned on you can cause this to happen. The propshaft can twist itself out of index and cause a vibration that can cause unwanted engagement. For those that don't know, The AWD doesn't engage until the rear wheels slip. If you have it turned on and go and jump off a ramp or hill or whatever you can get air on when you leave the ground the rear wheels increase dramaticly in speed and since they are spinning faster than the front wheels, the awd engages and it slams in really hard to catch the front wheels up with the rear. When this happens it puts way more stress on the propshaft than under normal engagements and it will overtime twist itself out of index. The yokes change there alignments and this causes the engagement issue. So if you keep it in 2wd unless you need it may help reduce the possibility of this happening. This has caused the unwanted engagement in all but one and it was a warped front driveshaft. Oh, and don't say you don't play like that in 4WD, we all do. Maybe we forget its on or just not think about it. But I bet you will now. The AWD setup on the Polaris is simple. So simple it can give you a headache when there is a problem

2)...Alright guys. I'll tell you why one of the wheels engages at higher speeds. It's actually your fault and you didn't even know it was happening. Its more likely to happen on scramblers because of the wheel and axle speed. When your atv leaves the ground and the AWD is engaged, this causes the front wheels to slam in to gear. Enough times of doing this and it twist the prop shaft out of index. When this happens it causes a vibration. You may not feel it, but it's there. The vibration causes an elctro magnetic current which will cause the hub to engage. I know it sounds crazy but its true. It kinda makes the shaft the north pole and the hub the south pole of a magnet (bad way of explaining) but you get the idea. A warped axle can also cause this but the prop shaft is most likely the case. So if you are off jumping around on your wheeler make sure she is in 2wd. To check the front drive shafts jack up the wheeler and put it in gear. Hold the front wheels still (leave in 2wd) and if the wheel wabbles then you've got an axle bent. The main reason It pulls is because the gear ratio on a Polaris front end is different from the rear in most cases. This can help in the mud but can make it pull when the wheels don't unlock. I'm sure this can happen on the new style AWD but you arn't likely to notice it because of the wheels engaging off of a single hub

Old 06-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Pro Rider

Sometimes the armature plates become magnetized, but then its always engaged, are you using the polaris hub fluid?, they are picky on fluid type, the other problems Ive had with the older ones is the gear slector switch goes bad, next time it wont engage wiggle the gear shift or try low gear , if it works ts the switch going bad.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:10 PM
afk
Weekend Warrior

i'm using atf in both hubs the 1 works the other don't altho. now its kicking in and out for no reason. i ordered a new hub clutch but i doubt thats the issue. its odd. what would cause it to kick in and out on its own in 2wd?

Old 06-26-2009, 08:01 PM
afk
Weekend Warrior

never did get it fixed however now its doing something even wrose. its rev limiting in fwd? saying its in R R lights up. but it drives FWD sec u hit override it goes fwd fine. any ideas? i think its time to junk it for a more reliibule honda or yamaha.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the gear selector switch is going bad. exactly what kerbbirds suggested.
you can disable the rev limiter by finding the box for it and unpluging the black wire