Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Stock tires - worth while?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock tires - worth while?

I am debating new tires for my 800 touring - currently it has the Carlisle AT489s - stock ones, so my question is are they worthwhile tires. Most of our trail riding will be mine rock area, and backwoods forrest stuff on our land in Upper Michigan. I know my mother-in-law, whom bought our old one is getting different - thicker ply tires, and it is recommended by most up there. So my other question would be - are the stocks worth anything when selling - any idea on price? These tires has a whopping 4 miles on them. I am wanting to go up to a 26" tall tire - should I be concern with width - if I stay within an inch of stock width?

Old 05-28-2009, 11:25 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Don,t all Polaris ATV come with 6 ply tires stock any longer? I know the rest of the manufacturers just slap on some cheap 2plys tires so the ATV can be rolled off of the show room.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

the stock tires on my 06 work fine..My plan is use them until they wear out then get some mud lites or a wheel kit.....just my 2cp

Old 05-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Your tires aren't bad, but are lacking in sidewall protection. That's why many go to Maxxi Bighorns. Carry a tire plug kit, you're going to need it with the Carlisle's. I'm still running my stock, but have gone through quite a few plugs. You could probably get $ 40-50 a piece for you stock tires if like new. With 26's you'll probably rub on your front tie-rod with stock wheels, especially with Bighorns as they run about an inch bigger than listed, 25" Bighorns are closer to 26", you might be happy with the 25's

Old 05-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Range Rover

I have the same machine as you. I opted to upgrade to 27' mudlite xtr's. The stock 489's were ok but I am much happier with the new tires. I managed to sell my old tires and rims with 500 miles on them for $300 ( canadian ).

Old 05-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Trailblazer

X2 on the Carlisle's sidewall protection, 3 out of 4 tires on my 800 had sidewall damage...about 5 or 6 plugs each tire. I have the Holeshot ATR's on the front and I think I'm going with the big horn on the rear as soon as I can get some cash for em. I know a couple guys that run big horn (1.0) and love them.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

Here's what the stars mean on the side of your tires

Thank you for your interest in Carlisle Tire & Wheel, the Star rating only addresses the PSI of the tire. Example would be a 2 star tire has as a max PSI of 4 lbs. Where a 3 star tire has a max PSI of 7. What this actually does is allow more face of the tire to make contact with the surface. When inflating to higher PSI’s this causes the tire to stand tall and narrow, thereby losing the contact with the surface.

The AT489’s range from 4 ply to 6 ply.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

i just got kenda executioners... 25's and they ride better than my stock tires.. the look very aggressive and they are.. but they ride really nice... i would def. recomend them to anyone loooking for a diffrent tire... they are alot cheaper than ipt and from what i hear.. they wear alot better too... imo they are a awsome tire...

Name:  100_1667.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  161.6 KB

Old 05-28-2009, 04:19 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by Spdecat
Here's what the stars mean on the side of your tires

Thank you for your interest in Carlisle Tire & Wheel, the Star rating only addresses the PSI of the tire. Example would be a 2 star tire has as a max PSI of 4 lbs. Where a 3 star tire has a max PSI of 7. What this actually does is allow more face of the tire to make contact with the surface. When inflating to higher PSI’s this causes the tire to stand tall and narrow, thereby losing the contact with the surface.

The AT489’s range from 4 ply to 6 ply.
NO.

On the sidewall of your ATV tire you will find star imprints. Each star equals 2-ply. For example: three stars on the sidewall of a tire means the tire is rated at 6-ply.

Link to info ATV Nation > Tire FAQ or here http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/...-ATV-FAQs.aspx

I have seen 1 star rated tires with 5psi psi also printed on the side wall. PSI rating is just plain straight foward stated on the tire.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

my executioners are 6 ply.. max psi is 7 pounds i run them at 4 psi

Quick Reply: Stock tires - worth while?