Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

CV Joint Rebuild... Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Joint Rebuild... Help!!

I was replacing a torn CV boot today. I have done them in the past so I know how to do it, kind of. I get to the point of removing the half shaft from the gear case (differential). I pried a little bit all the way around, then gave the shaft a good yank. Didn't move. So, I gave it a bit of a harder yank. This time, I pulled the CV joint right out of the "collar" (not sure what terminology to use here. The black "cup" about 3" in diameter that the CV joint rides in). So, I have the half-shaft (bearings, cage and race) out but still dont' have the "cup". I think now that I have it all ripped apart I can leave it on.

Questions: can I rebuild the CV joint and just "pop" it back into the "cup" same way it came out? Just line it all up and give it a tap or shove back in?

Now that I have it all apart, I see the small retaining ring inside (just below the race I think it was). I will remove that, then does the race and cage come off the half shaft? If so, then I will put my boot on, and seal the small end. Then, put it all back together and get the CV joint back into the "cup" and seal the big end. Job finished. or am I missing something? Please get back to me ASAP. I appreciate all the help. Thanks very much!

Old 05-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

Holy **** man, ive never seen taht happen. Ive done multiple boots and used my whole 280lbs to pull one out and taht never happened

Old 05-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey i made this when mine did that watch and learn lol

YouTube - polaris cv joint disassembly front axle scrambler 400-500 4x4

just kidding i hope this help if so rate it or commentplease

thanks, rich

Old 05-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

war... I think it was a matter of luck ahaha. I'm not a big guy by any means. Didn't take a whole lot to get it out actually.

itch... thanks for the vid. It helps explain a bit. I am more interested in the "reassembly" of it though. You got a vid of that?

Does the fact that I was able to seperate the race, cage and ***** from the "cup" that holds it all together so easily mean it's all worn and I need a new one? It drove absolutely fine last time out before I tore the boot.

Just don't want to be wasting time trying to get it all back together if it's all worn out anyways. Please advise! Thanks!

Old 05-31-2009, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

i dont have one of the actual reassembly , what part exactly were you wanting to see i still have that joint handy?
also i think your correct , it must be worn to just fall apart anyway and you may want to clean it all and inspect it for wear ,

Old 05-31-2009, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer

No, no need for more vids or pics. Thanks for the offer though. I appreciate it.

I cleaned it all, gave everything a gas bath and blew it all dry. Nothing seems to be worn. There are no sharp edges or scoring in any parts. Everything seems just fine. Like I said, I did give it a pretty hard sharp tug.

I think I am going to dry and reinstall it tomorrow and take it for a ride and see how it goes. Like I said, it was totally fine before this "oops".

Any tips or advice for reinstall would be greatly appreciated! Post away! Thanks!

Old 06-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default CV

I've had that happen before. The best thing to do is use a slide hammer or puller to get the cv housing out of the diff so you can clean it up and put some never seize on the splines that go into the diff. No need to take out the retaining clip. Just clean it all up, install the new boot on the shaft, grease, then pop the shaft back into the housing, secure the boot, and re-install.

If you don't want to remove the housing from the diff you can just pop it back on and secure the boot. Make sure it's in correctly before installing or it will bind up and crack the cv housing(been there).

Old 06-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Trailblazer

Got it all together! Was pretty easy actually. Not a big deal. Thanks for all the help guys! I appreciate it a lot!

Old 06-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Trailblazer

The easiest way to get the cup out of the front end, is to use a prybar with light pressure between the cup and the case, just enough to move it forward till the snapring on the splines of the cup is tight. Don't try to force it as you will damage the front case if you do so. Then lightly tap the sides of the cup with a small hammer. The small blows from the hammer with the light pressure from the prybar will make the cup inch out of the front drive. Start light and soft and work up the hammer pressure as needed.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Trailblazer

If anyone wants detailed specs on rebuilding a CV joint, I now know and can explain in full. If ever needed, just PM me and I'll explain.

Quick Reply: CV Joint Rebuild... Help!!