Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Does Slime= AWD problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Slime= AWD problems?

I've heard that using Slime in the tires on our pops will cause problems with the 4wd operation.. Is this true? Both of my rear tires have slow leaks and I'm wanting to add some Slime but I don't want it to cause problems....Thanks!

Old 06-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slime

Is it a bead leak? If so you can pick up a can of bead sealer at any auto parts store. I had to run that and lots of slime in my 05 800 cuz the 29.5" tires I had never seated well on the stock alum rims. Never had any 4wd issues because of it. Big thing is to take it out on a nice trail ride after adding it so the stuff disperses equally in the tire.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

You could try and take soap and water to the tire to find the leak where you see the bubbles comming out and put a tire plug in there. I have done that several times with very good luck. Cheap to do to.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:41 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I have seen fix a flat used in many Polaris without issue.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

I would'nt put any of that stuff in your tires if you absolutly dont have to. Also makes for a mess if you ever bring in the tire with the rim on it for them to replace. Fix a flat is explosive, tire shops dont like to deal with thats suff. Just my .02

Old 06-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 02magnum500
I would'nt put any of that stuff in your tires if you absolutly dont have to. Also makes for a mess if you ever bring in the tire with the rim on it for them to replace. Fix a flat is explosive, tire shops dont like to deal with thats suff. Just my .02
I agree about it being messy but Slime isn't explosive like fix a flat. Also slime is suppose to stop any future leaks,thats another reason I was thinking about using it. I think that locust thorns are causing me my trouble. I try to avoid them but there are a lot of locust trees where I ride.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

Yeah slim is probably your best bet if you are always going through tough stuff like thorns, I just thought it was a one time leak and fix deal.

Trending Topics

Old 06-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would Slime have any impact on the AWD? I'm not sure I follow the logic path here.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ss97
Why would Slime have any impact on the AWD? I'm not sure I follow the logic path here.
I'm not sure why it would effect it either, thats why I'm asking....It's something I read somewhere on the web and wanted to see if it was anything valid or just more horse dookie...
From what I gathered having liquid in the tires somehow effects how the "on demand" AWD operates....dunno how....
Wish I could remember where I seen it because I'd post a link...Yes I read A LOT lol!
I seen it briefly mentioned in a post here and googled it for further reading...

Old 06-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hddoperator
I'm not sure why it would effect it either, thats why I'm asking....It's something I read somewhere on the web and wanted to see if it was anything valid or just more horse dookie...
From what I gathered having liquid in the tires somehow effects how the "on demand" AWD operates....dunno how....
Wish I could remember where I seen it because I'd post a link...Yes I read A LOT lol!
I seen it briefly mentioned in a post here and googled it for further reading...

Gottya...... I suppose anything is possible but I just can't see how it would have any effect. If it did, I would think putting on large lugged mud tires would also cause problems. Or for that matter riding in heavy mud that clings to the inside of the rims, or snow/ice freezing inside the rim spokes....see what I'm getting at?

Slime is not that heavy, not so much where it would somehow mess with rotation or inertia of the wheel. Mud or snow is much heavier. I know guys who put a bottle of Slime in every tire, even before it has any flats since ATV tires are notorious for bead leaks.

Quick Reply: Does Slime= AWD problems?