Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

07 polaris sportsman. grinding when i flip AWD on

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 07 polaris sportsman. grinding when i flip AWD on

All right i own two 07 sportsman 500 efi. And there doing the exact same thing. Everything runs fine when im just in 2wd. No sounds everything is YEA YEA WHOOOO TIme to party. Than when i enable the AWD switch. Thats when i hear a grinding noise coming from somewhere.

I the throttle and she starts off like shes struggling. Get passed 20mph everything seems fine. Until i start slowing down past that 20mph mark, than she wants to make a really bad grinding noise. I mean bad.

My unlces and i took apart the whole front end. THought the noise was coming from the front drive sytem. {thing where the cv joints connect to turn em} dont know what its called. but anyways. I split the guts open on the thing. ALl gears looked brand spankin new. No teeth missing. No seals broken. Clean as a whistle. Its all back together and clean. But wheeler still makes the grinding noise.

can it be that a cluth plate isn't enageing correctly. Im stumpped. Nosie only happens when AWD switch is engaged. need advice. PLZ!!!! im crying over here. lol

Last edited by SeaDOnkey; 06-02-2009 at 12:03 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 06-02-2009, 05:35 AM
Range Rover
BUY AMERICAN!

what fluid are you using in the front differental?does the atv have ADC (active decent control) If you are using the wrong fluid it will make a vey bad grinding noise..

Old 06-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Pro Rider

get all four wheels off the ground and put it on jack stands, then you can run it and maybe tell where the noise is, if front diff looked alright its probably a cv joint, are all the cv-boots in good shape? Any of them torn or been torn before?

Old 06-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

we put all four wheels off the ground. NOise didnt happen. seems to only do it when pressure is applied to the wheels. CV joints are in great shape. Was the first thing we looked at.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

it does have ADC. im using the fluid polaris recommends. But for the ADC fluid. what do i use for that? everytime i go to the dealer there like. huh What!!

Old 06-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Range Rover
BUY AMERICAN!

It is very imporant the you use DEMAND DRIVE LT PREMIUM FLUID..part # 2876251...I have ran into this problem very often on the atv's with ADC..People are using the wrong fluid..This will cause a grinding noise like a car with brake pads worn down to the metal..

Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

You said you own two 07 sportsman 500 EFI and there BOTH making the grinding noise in AWD? Always use polaris brand gear oils when it comes to your differentials and tranny. Fill your diffs with Demand drive lt premium fluid polaris part # 2876251
And change your active descent control fluid with active descent control fluid
part#2876144. They do make that fluid. I have seen it in my local polaris dealer.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Guys I need some help the book says 5oz for the front and rear diff but then also says to keep it at the bottom of the fill hole. when I add the 5oz it doesn't look like it comes close to the bottom of either hole??? I checked the levels before I drained it didn't look like it came to the bottom of the fill hole

Old 10-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

keep filling. Make sure you are on level ground. Mine seemed to take just over 5 oz. My popo shop manual says 8.7 or 8.9 oz, can't remember but there was a discrepancy.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

What gets me even more is the dealership today told me not to overfill the front as it would engage on its own if it had to much fluid in it. These guys need to get their info straight, first bike Ive ever owned and stuff like this drives me nuts!

Quick Reply: 07 polaris sportsman. grinding when i flip AWD on