Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

couple Sportsman questions, AM wheels and axles

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple Sportsman questions, AM wheels and axles

I am looking into buying a used 4x4, and it has ben suggested I look into the Sportsman. There seems to be several in my area for sale.

Someone told me the Polaris 4x4 system is...... Well I guess for lack of a better term, its calibrated to the stock wheel/tire size. He says he has heard that bigger tires/wheels can cause problems in the 4x4 system.

Also I read the sticky about removing the rear axle. Doesnt seem too hard and I have a buddy who has 7 quads and seems to know alot about them so he can help. One quad on craigslist needs a front axle. I have looked up pricing on the axle, and even with a new OEM axle, it still seems like a good price. Is it really a big deal to replace the front axle on an 02?

Last thing, another guy told me to stay away from 2005 and up Sportsman. Something changed and they have problems. Cant remember what he said exactly. Anything to this?

Just getting into this hobby, its like information overload trying to absorb everything, LOL

Anything to watch out for on these?

Thanks in advance

Old 06-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions

You should have no problems replacing axles if you have a manual and someone familiar with quads.
You can easily go one size up on tires with no issues but would greatly benfit from installing a clutch kit.
As for the 05 and up there are a gazzillion different people with ther own opinions. My last ride was an 05 800 that had the biggest lift/tires money could buy and it spent most of it's time in the mud. As long as you keep them clean and maintain them you should have little/no issues. I currently have an 09 800 and have had no issues yet.
The group I used to ride with had just about every make/model out there and my Polaris out-performed them all and never left me stranded.
Good luck with whatever you decide to buy! if you do go with a Polaris this is probably the best forum I have come across for info, tips, and tech help if you ever need it.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

the front shafts arent to bad. if you dont get a manuel. just make shure when you take things apart to keep track of where what goes. use oem awd hub oil. some of the 05 and up have plastic roller cages. iv seen issues with them on the forum from other users. but if you dont beat it you should be fine. i had a 200 sportsman and really never had any issues. good luck

Old 06-09-2009, 06:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the thing with the tires is true to all 4 wheel drive systems. think about a differential on a truck. you cant put a 15" tire on one side and 16" tire on the other. that 3rd member is going to be fighting itself the entire time.

you can put different tires on as long as it keeps the gear ratio the same.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Judd
I am looking into buying a used 4x4, and it has ben suggested I look into the Sportsman. There seems to be several in my area for sale.

Someone told me the Polaris 4x4 system is...... Well I guess for lack of a better term, its calibrated to the stock wheel/tire size. He says he has heard that bigger tires/wheels can cause problems in the 4x4 system.

Also I read the sticky about removing the rear axle. Doesnt seem too hard and I have a buddy who has 7 quads and seems to know alot about them so he can help. One quad on craigslist needs a front axle. I have looked up pricing on the axle, and even with a new OEM axle, it still seems like a good price. Is it really a big deal to replace the front axle on an 02?

Last thing, another guy told me to stay away from 2005 and up Sportsman. Something changed and they have problems. Cant remember what he said exactly. Anything to this?

Just getting into this hobby, its like information overload trying to absorb everything, LOL

Anything to watch out for on these?

Thanks in advance
I dont think it matters what you get.. weather its a newer or older.. the older ones are gonna be more used and the newer ones are gonna have more flaws to be worked out... when looking to buy a quad tho make sure you look at who owns it... is it a kid or a old guy..( no offence ) lol ... check the fluids and look in places that would get packed with mud if whoever did serious mud riding... look at the rubber on the rest of the cv joints and look for rips so you dont have to replace all of them... that can get spendy.. im doin the top end on my motor rite now and its only costing me 400.00... i dont think thats bad at all.. but weather its a polaris or whatever else.. try to get independent rear suspension.. especially if your not a teenager.. you wont regret it.. good luck and let us know what you get

Old 06-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Trailblazer

What would be a good source for the front axles? Is there a source for rebuilt axles? There is a 2002 Sportsman 500 for $2,000 that needs one or two front axles

Old 06-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

i would scoop it up for sure... if you wanna make sure you have no more problems with them axles for like 30$ more than stock ones you can get gorrilla or turner axles... suppose to be the best.. people use them with lifts becuase of the angle the joints are at... or if you are not going to put a lift on it then get stock,,, if mine go out i will def replace with gorrilla or turner... you can buy just the inner or outter .. but its not even worth it i would just replace the whole axle...

Old 06-09-2009, 08:55 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Someone told me the Polaris 4x4 system is...... Well I guess for lack of a better term, its calibrated to the stock wheel/tire size
The AWD is calibrated for front and back tire size. You can change tire size but you have to put the new size on front and back. The AWD system does not care if the 4 tires are 25" or 26" as long as they are the same.

You probably heared about the 2004.5 and up being trouble do to there ECM brain box, make sure the guy had the recall done.

I buy used ATV only and chose due to condition of ATV not year, I turned down a few 200 hr 2005 be for buying a 2001 with 120 hr. I had to clean a sticky starter brush once and have 270 hr on the ATV now.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Trailblazer

He also has some extra tires

almost new wheels and tires are big 26"x12"x12" rears and 26"x10"x12" fronts GATORS

Those would be an an extra 200. I am thinking they would be worth it to have some extra tires. Since they are 26 all the way around, the AWD wont care right?

He also said the display is oxidized and hard to read. Is that hard to fix? A little polish on the outside?

Old 06-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

those tires would tear... yea i would get them.. im not sure about the speedo... maybe you can take off the plastic and clean out the inside... im not too sure about that tho... how many miles are on it?

Quick Reply: couple Sportsman questions, AM wheels and axles