Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Maintenance/Lubes and such

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009 | 01:17 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Question Maintenance/Lubes and such

Here's the begining of that list of a million questions.
I've never owned an atv so please remember that I don't know jack. lol
I've been going over the maintenance schedule in the manual and I'm wondering if I really need to use brand names and specific lubes as indicated in it.
Like....What's really in the hubs? Is there an oil I can use that's available in an auto parts store or is that something that's made specifically for the hubs?
Can I go to the local Harley shop or NAPA and buy oil for the chain? Is dry lube better or worse for that?
Can I realy use a nylon stocking as a prefilter to go over the air filter element like my husband says? lol Hmmmm...
We're in the middle of nowhere Indiana so getting anywhere to buy parts or anything is a 30 mile trip one way unless it's auto or bike parts.
According to the book of course everything needs to be Polaris brand...somehow I doubt that.
Thanks!
gambro

Old 06-09-2009 | 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

Didn't mention what model/year it is but, Oil I & many others use Mobil 1. I use a napa gold filter. Chain about any decent chain oil will work, (dont try used motor oil). The hubs are rather picky about their fluid. Can't really comment about the diff & tranny fluids. Grease I use marine grade as I spend a bit of time in water.

Old 06-09-2009 | 04:25 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Maint./fluids

Yeah I already changed the oil and filter in it and used Mobil 1 syn. because that's what the previous owner said he always used.
Oh btw, it's a 2000 Scrambler 4x4 500. I've already overheated it by not having the key in the right position (no fan) and ran it out of gas a mile from the nearest farm. lmao No one told me I'd get this much walking in with a quad.
I go through a lot of water too because of the massive bog across the road so thanks for the tip on marine grade grease.
I'll just have to make a trip to the "big town" and get what I need for it because maintenance isn't something I really want to skimp on.
Appreciate the help!
gambro

Originally Posted by upnort
Didn't mention what model/year it is but, Oil I & many others use Mobil 1. I use a napa gold filter. Chain about any decent chain oil will work, (dont try used motor oil). The hubs are rather picky about their fluid. Can't really comment about the diff & tranny fluids. Grease I use marine grade as I spend a bit of time in water.

Old 06-09-2009 | 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

bummer about running out of gas. Being that you are new to quads did u know the tank has a reserve setting? it will get you a couple more miles after you run out of gas in the "on" position.

Old 06-09-2009 | 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Yah know UPNORT guy, it's about time you start sharing some of those places where you get your Mobil 1 and filters, I'm getting tired of the $25 and stealing your undies at teh POo dealer!!

Old 06-09-2009 | 06:39 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Maintenance/Lubes and such

Yup figured that out right after filling it back up, just like we figured out the fan problem after overheating it and pushing it back to the house.
Live and learn.....the hard way, and you'll never have to learn it again. lol
gambro

Originally Posted by Elusive
bummer about running out of gas. Being that you are new to quads did u know the tank has a reserve setting? it will get you a couple more miles after you run out of gas in the "on" position.

Old 06-09-2009 | 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by uncertifiedmechanic
Yah know UPNORT guy, it's about time you start sharing some of those places where you get your Mobil 1 and filters, I'm getting tired of the $25 and stealing your undies at teh POo dealer!!
Farm & fleet on sale 5.49 regular 6.49. Napa gold 6.49 + tax of course.

Old 06-09-2009 | 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

my polaris guy tells me that it dont matter what you use in the rear or front diff.. or trani.. but in the oil and hubs you wanna use the polaris stuff... ( or maybe synthetic ) im not sure.. but he says that the older polaris like 99 up to 03 had cam problems because the oil not splashing up to the cam.. so i run the polaris stuff in my engine oil.. as for the hub fluid... its like 9.00 a quart i think... and that will last a few changes... also for the hubs i would use the polaris fluid.. for like 15.00 at polaris you get a filter and 2 quarts of oil..

yea what kinda machine are you running?

Old 06-09-2009 | 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

also the diffs are 80'90 or 80 120.... you can use either i guess... im running 80 90 in mine... valvoline

Old 06-09-2009 | 11:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default scrambler key

i also have a 2000 scrambler 500, mine only has 2 key settings off and on. so not sure how that had any affect on your fan not comming on. the sensor at the top of your rad turns it on or off. i wired mine up to a switch so i know it's on