Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman MPG

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Polaris Sportsman MPG

i Have a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 450 i was getting about 23 MPG around the house and about 28 on the trail now im am getting 14 MPG around the house and about 16 MPG on the trail. how come it is doing this? i put a new fuel filter in it because it was leaking and that helped a little. but it is still not back to normal. Can anyone help?????

Old 06-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

carb adjusted right? spark plug clean or replaced?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

when i gun it the machine boggs down then gets power.... it was leaking out of the carb so i tighted it and it stopped. i will try cleaning the spark plug

Old 06-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

how many miles you have on it?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Range Rover

It could be a number of things. I would start with a full tuneup and then go from there, a lot of times it is just something simple (Bad Gas, Air filter, Plug) then check braking system to make sure you don't have a stuck caliper that is causing drag. Have you noticed any loss of power? As long as you are getting good air/exhaust flow and have good compression, fire, fuel and timing it should not be the motor. I have never had a problem with the Sportsman and Magnum I have unless the air filter gets clogged from riding in dusty/sandy conditions though.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

i agree with that. but depends on how many miles it may need a new plug, and the carb going over. would be what ida done first. but then with anything that ages its not gona run like new. when i had my 2000 sportsman. i had the valves adjusted every 3 or so yrs. i had the carb gone though at about 4yrs, and a new plug, and air filter.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

oh define the carb was leaking?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Range Rover

I agree totally with all said. I don't think sometimes that a lot of people don't do the proper maintenance on there machines (valve adjustment clean fuel system etc etc). I run seafoam through my 01 magnum every 3rd tank of fuel and have never had a fuel problem. I have approximately 8500 on her now but have always, always had GOOD upkeep on it, she may fall apart tomorrow but I beat the heck out of it for the first few years before I new better and it has been bulletproof so far, maintenance is the life of any machine.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

It has 5000 miles on it. it just had a full service done in december. i run sea foam through every 4th tank. it was leaking out of the drain hose at the bottom of the carb (i just tighted the screw and it stoped) i just called my dealer today and it will be at least two weeks before they can get it in.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like its time for a needel and seat. i had to put one on my 00 polaris in about 05. i had round 5k miles on it. it ran out of the drain hose. so i had to shut it off after every ride to keep it from leaking. the guy who did the repair said the needel and seat was worn abit from non stop use. and i can see why. thats what the issue with mine was. so he just did the needle, seat, and the kit. a new spark plug wouldnt hurt, and if the filter looks crappy or it has been some time. id change that to.

Quick Reply: Polaris Sportsman MPG