Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Wondering if I should Clean my Chain or not that is the question??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wondering if I should Clean my Chain or not that is the question??

I have a 1996 300 xplorer and I have it somewhat disassembled to work on a few things. I am about ready to Button it up but just wonder if I should try to clean off some of the last 13 years of mudd, grease, oil, & everything else that has been used on the chain overtime. The chain looks to be in fairly good shape at least by what I can see of it that is why I would like to clean it up a little.

The Chain on this machine has o-rings on it so that is why I figured I had better get some idea's from you guy/gays that have had these toys longer than me.

I was thinking of taking some of the foamy engine cleaner and spraying it down letting it soak then rinsing it off with a garden hose. What about using carburetor cleaner on it? One other idea I was thinking about using if neither of foamy engine cleaner or carb cleaner would not work is taking some kerosene or diesel with a brush and clean them up that way.

I guess I should mention that it is the middle chain and the forward chain I want to clean up. I hope not to have to disassemble this little beast for along while.

If I can clean the chain with something I was planning on putting some chain lube I have on the chain but is their something better to use than Chain lube or a certain brand that is better than others?

Old 06-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

first thing id do is check the sprokets. if the teeth are starting to look like a saw blade its time for new sprokets and chain. if there fine. id check the o-rings in the chain are missing, cracking its time for e a new chain. if there fine there are chain cleaners out there. but carb cleaner, or harsh cleaners i woudnt use. but iv never really cleaned a 0ing chain. i had a oring chain on a wheeler i had before. and all i did was oil it. just becuse of the orings. id use soap and water with a brush. or a cleaner that wouldnt hurt the o-rings asuming there in good shape. but im shure other people who have more exspearinace can say what they use.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:32 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just blow any loose stuff like dirt dust etc.. off with compressed air and spray it back up with chain lube. I am a Electrician by trade and don't use any contact cleaner on this chain with O-rings.......Many contact cleaners will damage rubber and plastic.........Not all but most will............Caper...............

Old 06-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Instead of buying the cleaner, buy a chain scrubber.

But as old as the quad is, it may be just as easy to buy a new one.

If you need chain and/or sprockets, a guy using sledpartsguy over on ebay has some good deals.

Don't let the name fool you, he has tons of quad stuff too.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

you can soak it in diesel fuel to clean it up and lube it too