Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

XP Lock & Ride rear storage box.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rancher55
Well I bought the rear storage box for my 850 today and the space is going to be great on long rides
You'll like it. Works great and stays on from what I've seen so far. Only thing I'd add is that you keep it full when you go on longer rides with a jacket or blanket to fill up the extra space. If it's half full, the noises from gear bouncing/smashing around inside the thing can be very distracting. The fast you ride the worse it gets.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

i made a lock and ride sprayer mount. mine seems to hold up. but then again i have 4 anchors holding mine down. but i havent had non of the anchors come lose.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by FunRide
You'll like it. Works great and stays on from what I've seen so far. Only thing I'd add is that you keep it full when you go on longer rides with a jacket or blanket to fill up the extra space. If it's half full, the noises from gear bouncing/smashing around inside the thing can be very distracting. The fast you ride the worse it gets.
FunRide is correct, make sure you fill the extra space up, we usually keep a towel in our boxes.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:40 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks everyone for your help! I think I'll just leave it with the two anchors for now, I can always add a couple more if needed. I will be sure to take up any "extra" space so as to reduce the rattles!
Now I just need to get the backrest! Another $200.00 LOL!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider

Check to see if the old L&R backrest that mounts directly to the box will work, I believe they were under $120. It appears that they have the same mounting holes (for the little bags)

Old 06-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer

I had the L&R box on my '05 700 - on one particular bumpy ride one of the brackets broke right off - a large section of plastic tore right out of the box & was still attached to the bracket. After that, I ended up bolting it down to the rack extender.
On my XP, I had a difficult time finding just the right amount of tension on the rubber plugs where it would stay in the mounting hole & yet still be removable without considerable effort. The box actually came off on my first ride - I didn't think to check it after the dealer installed it. Lesson learned.
Then I mounted a Kolpin gas tank mount to the box. Even without any gas in the flat pack (I have the 1.5 gal tank) it seemed to move around way too much for my liking. I took the rear rack off, drilled a couple holes in the rear rack support & put a couple bolts through sticking out the rear. Then I mounted a couple eye-bolts to the bottom of the Kolpin mount that slide over the rear bolts & put a couple wing-nuts on to hold it down. Now, it's bolted down yet still removes in less than a minute.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Ranch, You should give it a go without the backrest. I thought I'd need it too, but passengers don't seem to mind the "support" as is, with their back up against the plastic. Just sort of makes a passenger feel like they're not going off the back. Not sure if you planned it for you, or the passenger.....

You might find some kind of backrest for cheap in a Tractor Supply, or similar.....Attach it to the rear cargo box with industrial type velcro. Prob pick something up for $25.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:10 AM
Pro Rider

Those are all good ideas guy's! That's what makes this forum work! I do think I'll look around and see what other options I can find for the backrest.
Nice job on the tank mount BlueManQuad!

Old 06-21-2009, 06:05 AM
Pro Rider

Well I loaded up the XP's rear storage box and went for a ride yesterday in an area that has some fairly rough terrain and my worries were confirmed, the rear box came loose twice! I have the L&R anchors adjusted tight enough that the lever is hard to get to the locked position. Now I have no choice but to modify the mounting system and/or add another bracket w/ a L&R anchor or two!
As I said before though, we were riding in rough terrain and were riding pretty hard, Kelly humps and moguls, steep and very rocky climbs and dissents, a few mud holes, logs and one section that had the deepest ruts from run off that I've ever seen! Some of the ruts were 2' - 3' deep and you had to straddle them in some spots just to get through! the XP was just wide enough to do it! You definitely didn't want to drop one side into the rut or you would have been stuck, on your side!
The rear box came loose both times going over the moguls!
I also found that the stock tires on the XP are really NOT good enough in these areas of Idaho, even on trails that are dry! New tires are on the top of the list of upgrades now!
Our ride was cut short because one of the guy's with us got hurt going down a steep downhill section. He went off the trail, bailed off his quad and ended up, (after we worked getting him out for an hour) going to the hospital where they said his pelvis was broke in 4 places! Bummer!
We had to tow his quad out while he rode out face down on the back of another machine, in extreme pain. The only other option was to call for a chopper to lift him out, but he said NO WAY!
Even though the day ended on that note (Bummer) we still had a good ride for part of the day.
It was a good thing that there were several of us on the ride, as he is a big boy, about 265 lbs. and it was hard to get him out without teamwork! Another reason to NOT ride alone!

Old 06-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Wow, hope your buddy is OK.

I hate to say it, but..............told ya so on the box coming loose.
Some people say they ride hard and so and so...whatever. Those anchors don't hold on rough trails with the big boxes. Easy trails they seem to work OK though. If I start using mine, I'll put a rope ratchet over it, so I don't have to watch it so much.

Quick Reply: XP Lock & Ride rear storage box.