Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1999 Scrambler 400 4x4 Reverse Question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999 Scrambler 400 4x4 Reverse Question?

Hi guys.

I just bought a used Scrambler and I was riding it around today with no problems at all. But then I started having a problem with the reverse. I dont know if it had to do with the AWD swtchj on the right control or what. This is what it does: When I put it in reverse it boggs down and I give it throttle and it wont do anything, it wont rev or move. And the idle sounds alot different then it does when its in nuetral or forward. Now it doesnt do this all the time. I dont know if its just a coincidence that it happens when I flick the AWD switch or not. Im new to this machine and dont know much about it. I cant even tell if the AWD is working... And I just read about the override switch so I need to play with that. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh and i drained and replaced the trnas gear oil after it started doing this to see if that would make a difference, but it didnt.

Also, when is the fan supposed to kick on? Havent noticed it yet.

Thanks!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

You should have a yellow button on the left handlebar near where your thumb would fall. It's labeled "override".

It's some sort of safety feature so you don't go flying backwards unexpectedly.

Hold down the button, and you can now run about 30 mph in reverse!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

I got a manual if you need any assistance. Got a buddies '99 Scrammy in the garage with cylinder off, going 1st over on the piston, and trying to get him to rat the unit out!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by uncertifiedmechanic
I got a manual if you need any assistance. Got a buddies '99 Scrammy in the garage with cylinder off, going 1st over on the piston, and trying to get him to rat the unit out!!!
Thanks, but I got a Polaris factory service manual with it, but it doesnt help me at all. Lol.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THe bogging is a safety feature in reverse.Either use the override button or disconnect the reverse limiter.Find it box and unplug the black wire.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by ftwflh
THe bogging is a safety feature in reverse.Either use the override button or disconnect the reverse limiter.Find it box and unplug the black wire.
Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, it starts bogging in reverse whether its in awd or not. and only after I have been riding it for 15 minutes. I press the override and hold it works fine. If I ride some more after a few minutes it starts working again without the overide. What is going on?

Old 06-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

bypass the reverse limiter.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer

Ok. Can you tell me where its at? And its a black wire?

Old 06-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Quad Patrol

under the hood the box with 3 wires.If not black try each one until u get the right one.

Quick Reply: 1999 Scrambler 400 4x4 Reverse Question?