Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2010 Scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Scrambler

I have a 2004 scrambler 500 with hdp clutch kit, pipe, aluminum wheels and new air filter but still looking for more speed in the woods to hang with my friends outlaws. So I went looking at rennegades and the sales manager told me there is a new scrambler coming out to compete with the can am it supposed go public in july so I will wait and see if not Im jumping ship to the can am 800 xxc but its going to hurt the wallet.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

I would not want to be trying to keep up with Outlaws on a Scrambler 500, or Can Am 800 or anything bigger and heavier that Polaris is going to put out for 2010.

What you need for that is a lighter, better handling bike.

It's about like this dude... picture yourself on an Outlaw 500 with a 200lb girlfriend on the back, riding double... do you expect to keep up easily?

That is the reality of it.

If you really like the Scrambler type machine and the auto trans, try finding yourself an old 2 stroke 400 2x4. They are a good 100 lbs lighter, which is huge, and they are tons quicker.... and you can turn them into an animal for a lot less money.

Mine is basically stock, except for a few minor changes, mostly for better handling.
And I can keep up, and flat check out on guys in a lot of places.

I can't stress enough what a difference 100 lbs is.
Mine weighs 100 less than yours, and my two Jap bikes weigh 100 lbs less than it.
For me, getting off one and on to another, I can REALLY feel the difference.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:15 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Weight is not not a big deal it is HP. I ride my friends 500 foreman (27 hp) thats over 120lbs lighter then a SP500 (35 hp) yet its much slower on take off, acceleration and top end.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Wait a month for the release. Then make your decision.

If you really want to spank them, get a newer brute force, lower it, remove racks, and put 25" bighorns on it.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with duster, if they are leaving you behind in the woods, it is because of lighter weight and better handling. Realisticly, I would be willing to bet if you were all to ride in a field only using the same speeds they are getting in the woods, your Scrambler would be able to keep up for the most part. Save yourself a bit of $$ and just buy an Outlaw if you want to stay with Polaris yet keep up with your buddies.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

Having both machines I would say you are better off getting the Outlaw IRS. I love the scrammy but it will not hold a candle to my Outlaw. If the woods are tight then you should be able to keep up, unless there is alot of ruts you are getting caught on. I would wait to see what the new scrambler is like but in the end you will still have to choose based on how you ride and the conditions and personal choice. I will say I recently installed a Rekluse Pro clutch in my Outlaw and it completly eliminated stalling when climbing steep hills in tight woods. It basicly drives like an auto but you still have to shift, just not worry about feathering the clutch.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

Its about time Polaris updated the Scrambler, and stepped up to the 800cc class. Can Am needs some competition in the sport 4x4 class, the Renegade 800 X xc is up to $12,199 in 2010.

I hope that Polaris builds an absolute monster of a Scrambler 800 that kicks everyone elses butt. Mo competition, mo better.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris will give it no competition with an 800cc Scrambler.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Range Rover

Ok,
Weight and HP are both important. Take the weight of the bike and divide it by the number of horsepower and you have lbs/HP. All else being equal a bike with fewer lbs/HP is going to accelerate faster.
When you start talking handling, again, all else being equal the lighter bike is going to be more agile
I kind of think you are comparing apples to oranges here. The Scrambler is a pretty weird bike, cool, but weird. It'll do stuff that either a pure utility bike or a pure sport bike won't but it's definately a niche machine. You want to keep up with you buddys on Outlaws I'd think your best bet would be keep the Scrammy and drop a third of the price of that Renegade on a two or three year old sport bike, 400Ex or a Predator or something.
FWIW I''d love to see Polaris drop the 850 engine into a Scrammy type chasis just to **** on Can-Am's parade.
Just my $.02
Q

Old 06-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

Weight is very important. Look at the DS650 for example, every pound lost equals 1 horsepower gained on those bikes which one holds a drag racing record. I think an IRS Scrambler 800 will weigh a ton. I want something light! Just shove the 800 in the regular Scrambler chassis and put dual a-arms up front.

Quick Reply: 2010 Scrambler