Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need Help with Polaris sportsman 500HO

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bruce_USMC
I figured out the gear setup inside the pull start. The recoil spring needs to be replaced. I put the cover back on and tried to use the electric start. When I turn the key all I hear is a click. The battery is old, so I got a new one and waiting now for the setup time. Then I have to throw it on the charger. Is there anything else it could be. Starter??? Thanks for all the help. The battery on it now does turn on all the lights and stuff but on the charger there is only like 8 volts, so im hoping on the new battery to solve the problem. Will it be ok with out the pull start recoil attached. all that is on there is the cover.
It should be. Me being me, I'd waste a tube of silicone and seal it up dust and water tight. Some have had the stator, and or starter, burn up due to water coming in through the cover via the handle hole. So seal it up all the way around.

Make sure you trickle charge the battery at 2 amps for 24 hours before use.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do u put pics on this thing

I can take some pics so you can see what Im talking about. I just dont know how? Im going to try srossing the silonid with a screw driver and see what happens

Old 06-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

crap i just seen how to add pics. let me go take some brb

Old 06-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

i do know the recoil spring is bad. when I took the cover off, it all went all over the place.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer

i do know the recoil spring is bad. when I took the cover off, it all went all over the place.
its a pain it the a$$ but you can recoil it and save some $$. how did crossing strt senolid do anything?

Old 06-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

which bolts do I cross to see if it will try to start?? I tok some pics of the gears im talking about and see if that helps. Still waiting on the battery to charge, the new one. just need to know which leads to cross on the senolid

Attached Thumbnails Need Help with Polaris sportsman 500HO-imgp3225.jpg  
Old 06-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

i know is a pain in the butt to recoil it. I find a shop to replace all of it for 30 bucks, the string is worn so might as well replace it while I got it off. Just want it to start with the electric start now

Old 06-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

The pull start is all the way pulled out and wont retract. Im trying to start it by the electric start and getting nothing but clicks. Is there a shear pin or something that prevents it from starting up. I have been told I could and others say I have to fix the pull cord first to use the electric start.
my 400 recoil was broke and just in place to seal the stuff inside... if it clicks look at all the connections or cyiliniod... if batt is charged i would start there... i dont think the recoil has anything to do with it.. you could take it off and start it...

Old 06-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Trailblazer

everything looks good in the case. the top part is the bendix it should not come into contact with the flywheel until the starter buttion is pushed. the two leads to cross should look like just cross the top two. MAKE SURE THE SIDE CASE IS BACK ON AND YOU ARE NOT TOUCHING THE METAL IN WHICH YOU ARE CROSSIN THEM WITH! you can just hold the side case there but it must be there it hold the bendix on correctly

Old 06-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Still cant get the dar thing started

I tried putting a screw driver on the silond and got sparks. so there is power going to that. Still waiting on the new battery to get charged. When I turn the key on the old battery all I get is clicking noise. It wont even try to turn over. Im guessing it like a car with a dead battery that it dosent have enough juice to turn over. Any other things that it could be? This is my first ATV and dont know much about them. If all else fails I guess I will take it to the shop and go from there.

Quick Reply: Need Help with Polaris sportsman 500HO