Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need Help with Polaris sportsman 500HO

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Polaris sportsman 500HO

The pull start is all the way pulled out and wont retract. Im trying to start it by the electric start and getting nothing but clicks. Is there a shear pin or something that prevents it from starting up. I have been told I could and others say I have to fix the pull cord first to use the electric start.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

there is a metal tab that comes out from the pull start when you yank the cord, it could hold the flywheel and stop it from turing with the starter. Did the starter work before this happened? Normally the flywheels are slanted on ine side to not get stuck but you never know for sure till you pull the cover off. Best to fix you'll love the pull cord for back up.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

i agree with the above.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Still Need help with the polaris sportsman 500

I took of the pull start cover. Fly wheel all busted up. There are 3 sets of gears in there. There is a big gear that matches up with the main gear, there is a little one on top that wont match up unless you pull it out or in. Does any one know how to realign these or where I can find some pics on line to see how its post to look, so I can just get the fly wheel on the pull start fixed and replace it myself. Thanks for all the help.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

Are you talking about the flywheel all messed up or the bendix? Wait..does the newer ones even have a bendix?

Old 06-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Trailblazer

I would think its still got a bendix(starter gear) from his discribition. but whats the 3rd gear unless were one the bendix contacts the starter? the bendix shounld not touch the flywheel unless the starter is turning. Can you get some pictures to see what were working with? if its like mine i can post some pictures what it should look like. thanks mike

Old 06-21-2009, 10:38 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The insides of the recoil cover and starting bentix/starter set up of the 500 fugi motor has not changed since introduced in 96 and up till now.

I think the twin cylinder 600 and ups have no pull start only.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bruce_USMC
I took of the pull start cover. Fly wheel all busted up. There are 3 sets of gears in there. There is a big gear that matches up with the main gear, there is a little one on top that wont match up unless you pull it out or in. Does any one know how to realign these or where I can find some pics on line to see how its post to look, so I can just get the fly wheel on the pull start fixed and replace it myself. Thanks for all the help.
Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories by BikeBandit.com.

Shop Service Manuals for Download - PowerSportResource.com

Old 06-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris sportsman 500ho

I figured out the gear setup inside the pull start. The recoil spring needs to be replaced. I put the cover back on and tried to use the electric start. When I turn the key all I hear is a click. The battery is old, so I got a new one and waiting now for the setup time. Then I have to throw it on the charger. Is there anything else it could be. Starter??? Thanks for all the help. The battery on it now does turn on all the lights and stuff but on the charger there is only like 8 volts, so im hoping on the new battery to solve the problem. Will it be ok with out the pull start recoil attached. all that is on there is the cover.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer

how do you figure the spring needs replaced? you should be able to recoil it. try crossing the starter senolid ith a screw driver does it try and start?

Quick Reply: Need Help with Polaris sportsman 500HO