Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Recommended tools etc....?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Range Rover
Maybe you could have your wife talk to my wife?
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended tools etc....?

Hiya Folks,
Bought my first ATV a few weeks ago and am getting it all kitted out now. First order of business was a winch which should arrive this Friday. Next up will be tools/spares. I've read that for some, with the 850XP, there have been belt issues as well as fouled spark plugs. I intend to carry extras of those (Polaris belt or aftermarket???) as well as a small bottle jack and the usual hand tools. Besides the Polaris tool kit and my own adds, what do you recommend in terms of spares/tools that one wouldn't normally think of? This quad will be largely used in the forest so without being able to repair while on the trail could mean a long walk.
Cheers,
cc

Old 06-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

I always have a paire of leather gloves, a 20' strap, and a short one to go around a tree, and I usually have a mini crescent wrench

Old 06-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flat tire kit, small air compressor, ratchet strap or hand winch-come along-to reset bead on tire, small shovel, small saw, toilet paper, bug repellant, flare gun w/flares, space blanket,hand signal mirror, headband flashlight, rain gear,warm coat, first aid kit,GMRS radio,cell phone, food,water, tarp and rope to make emergency shelter or repairs on, water purification kit,snake bite kit, Spot emergency hailer, duct tape, Wet ones wipes, boat anchor for winching post when none available, extra radiator hose with clamps, spare engine / trans fluid, antifreeze, GPS, extra fuel.

Pick and choose as needed, or carry all as needed. And the #1 thing to do-Tell someone where you're going, who you're with, and when you will return.

My.02

Old 06-24-2009, 08:02 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I like large channel locks, they grap the smallest nut/bolt to the largest,can be used as a hammer,I have used the handle to ply a ATV tire back on the rim and used them to turn the collar adjustment for the preload on the shocks.

Very handy tool.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to add a pair of wire cutters (past experience of barbwire wrapped around axle). And since you will be mainly in the forest...dont forget a hatchet or an axe. I also like to carry a rain suit incase I get caught in bad weather. The flat tire kit I use I bought at Wally world...it has plugs, patches, rubbercement, reamer and plug tool, and best of all, a Co2 cartridge tire inflator with 2 cartridges. (Beats carrying a compressor) no offense to anyone that does!!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:22 AM
Pro Rider

A fire starter kit, dry socks, extra gloves and a warm jacket. Rain gear.
An assortment of metric and sae wrenches, channel locks, wire cutters, a tow strap, duct and elec. tape and a cell phone!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Range Rover

Thanks folks for the inputs. It's actually kind of funny cause I have a full blown off road Jeep that I have outfitted for just about every emergency and it has all those things, and more. But for the ATV, I just couldn't get my head around just how much stuff to carry. Bottom line is I'll try to minimize my stuff but make sure I cover the basics of repair and survival.
Thanks much,
cc

Old 06-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Range Rover

I have a lot of the stuff that heftylefty has - except for the boat anchor. I just load up the rear toolbox with one of the slime compressor kits, plug kit, stock tool kit, torx screwdrivers (for front storage box removal), a small socket set ($15 from Home Depot), petzl headlight, led flashlight, spare batteries for all lights, duct tape, permanent marker. I carry two 24oz bottles of slime - one in each fender bag.

As for the CO2 they can be tricky enough - mess up a connection and you just wasted a cartridge. I've had a couple of occasions that either I or a buddy had to add air several times over the course of the ride.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Range Rover

Funnily enough, I carry a 5lb cylinder of CO2 in my Jeep! I used it for airing up tires for awhile until I installed an on board air compressor. Now I use it for my welder.....I doubt I could move those things over to the ATV very easily!
Thanks folks for the inputs.
Cheers,
cc

Old 06-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

Everyone has pretty much covered it but I didn't see shackles mentioned. I also like the boat anchor idea I could have used one two weeks ago...I was stuck bad lol!

Quick Reply: Recommended tools etc....?