Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Modded 98 Scrambler 400 bogging?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 07:06 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What springs and weights do you have in it right now?You need ethier a Brown or red/yellow primary spring and either S55 or HSP weights for that pipe(cant remember what they have on them but they are notched for high engagement)

Old 07-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought it modded already. I was told it had the HPD trail mod clutch kit. ?????
The secondary spring is purple and I can't remember what the primary is.....duh......I think it was colorless but I can't remember for sure. Does the secondary being purple sound right?

The reason I was looking at the carb was that the kid sent his orig. out to be bored and it got lost. So he was given a 39mm from the shop. He put it on and ran it once.....then it sat. Changing needle position really brought it to life in the low end. I'm wondering if I need to downsize the needle jet. Which of course I don't know what size it is because I was too stupid to look when I had it apart the first time.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 07-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Your problem is most likely in clutching.You need the set up I mentioned to get that pipe working right.
Be careful when messing with jetting you can lean it out and toast your engine

Old 07-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks.

These clutches blow my mind! I'm definately not used to them. I figured once it was up on pipe and I punched it it was too much air for not enough fuel until the fuel could catch up and make it go. It seemed that the engine sound itself never changed until a second later then it would get that "sound" and take off.

I'll pull the cover and try to figure out what springs are in it.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Old 07-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

it takes that split second for the clutching to engage, mine also does this but one it catches it pulls great

Old 07-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by IamBIGGUN
Thanks.

These clutches blow my mind! I'm definately not used to them. I figured once it was up on pipe and I punched it it was too much air for not enough fuel until the fuel could catch up and make it go. It seemed that the engine sound itself never changed until a second later then it would get that "sound" and take off.

I'll pull the cover and try to figure out what springs are in it.

Thanks again,
Kevin
need to know the weights too

Old 07-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Trailblazer

Okay......best I can tell is:

The Primary spring is colorless?????? Maybe brown or maybe rust
The weights have the number 10 underlined with an A below it and an L below that on the side of each.

The Secondary spring is purple It is on hole #'s 2 and 2.
The Helix is ????? the # on the inside is 5630683 and on the outside there is a "DL2" and a number 10. The ten is circled.
The buttons are new Polaris buttons.

Is that the info I needed to get?

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 07-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Quad Patrol

OK did the spring have any paint on one of the ends?If white on one end it is a POlaris white
bare metal would be HPD plain.The 10AL weights are 53 grams and are great on a modded 4stroke.10 series weights tend to have a heavier hit and do betting in 4strokes.Find a set of stock S55 weights and a brown primary spring.Is the secondary spring light purple or dark?If dark go with a violet(light purple)or Aaen blue.You have to have hi engagement to get that pipe to work right without a boog on the lowend.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:36 AM
Trailblazer

ok.

The only weights I have access to locally are 10 B H's and 10 W H's. So I guess I'll be ordering weights.

I talked to tech support at HPD and he told me to get the red/yellow spring, 10-58's, and an EG washer. How does that combo sound to you?

The secondary spring is the violet one.

Can you explain, or point to a link that explains, what "backshifting" is........is it like downshifting or does it refer to engine braking by the clutch staying engaged or is one caused by the other??????? And how does the 1,2,3 and 1,2 positioning affect that?

Thanks a ton,
Kevin

Old 07-08-2009, 05:55 AM
Quad Patrol

The set up HPD told you is a little hotter than the one I mention but works great but has a higher engagement rpm.Both will work with what you have.
YEs backshifting is downshifting.The tighter the spring or setting on the secondary the faster it will backshift but go too much and you will have a hard time upshifting

Quick Reply: Modded 98 Scrambler 400 bogging?