Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Warn RT30 Contents/Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Range Rover
Maybe you could have your wife talk to my wife?
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn RT30 Contents/Install

Folks,
Pardon the stupid question. I plan to install my Warn RT30 this weekend. Trouble is, the winch and ATV are 150 miles away right now and I can't verify a couple of things. I want to make sure I have everything I need as with small town and holiday, I won't be able to get much else. Do the Polaris feeds for the winch have the ring eyelets on the ends to attach with or are they just cut flush and need a connector? Were there any items the Warn winch needed that it didn't come with (ie. shrink tubing, etc...)? Finally any special tools you used besides sockets, wrenches, etc...? I will have a T25 torx available up there.
Thanks much,
cc

Old 06-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

the winch cable feeds have eyelets. you may have to cut them aprt to fit ur contractor. yes you will need a contactor if you dont have one. what yr you adding this to?

Old 06-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

heres a pic of where the contactor will go, and of mine and the pre wired winch cable. like i said you may have to cut the pos and neg wires apart. you will also need to get an igntion sorce for the winch:
Name:  DSC00873.jpg
Views: 4476
Size:  219.4 KB
Name:  DSC00887.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  156.0 KB
igntion sorace. either white circles will work:
Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  92.4 KB

Old 06-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Dublin -- Really need to know the year and model ATV you have.

If you are an XP Owner...the RT30 has all necessary supplies for a seamless install...except for the winch mount. YES...you will need a winch mount to install the RT30 to the XP.

Another need is a wire crimp tool. That is to connect the key on source from the XP to the handlebar switch. The key on source is under the headlight bezel and a simple plug-in. The contactor mounts to the rear near the tire on the left side (sitting on machine...facing forward). Make sure to use all the connection boots supplied with the kit!

I went with the winch mount from KFI (see link). Good quality, but make sure to connect the winch cables before installing winch and mount. I found out the hard way...that with it mounted...it is impossible to connect the wires. (Ooops!!!)

Sportsman 550 / 850 XP - Winch Mounts - POLARIS - SPORTSMAN - Sportsman 550 / 850 XP - KFI ATV Winch, Mounts and Accessories

Well...good luck with it!

biz

Old 06-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Range Rover

Thanks folks. I should have mentioned this is for an 850XP. I actually have the KFI winch mount to use so it sounds like I shouldn't need any ancillary items. Thanks!
cc

Old 06-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider
Arrow

Originally Posted by Dublin
Thanks folks. I should have mentioned this is for an 850XP. I actually have the KFI winch mount to use so it sounds like I shouldn't need any ancillary items. Thanks!
cc
No worries then! Especially since the KFI instructions are really GREAT! Follow them...and you are home free.

OBTW: I did not install the additional wired remote, because I just could not bring myself to drilling my new XP, but that is an optional part to install.

biz

Old 06-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by biz4two
OBTW: I did not install the additional wired remote, because I just could not bring myself to drilling my new XP, but that is an optional part to install.

biz
Yeah, I've been debating whether to install the wired remote or not. I'm trying to think of a time I might not want to be on the ATV when winching to justify it. I suppose worst case is there would be times when being on or near the atv winching could present a dangerous situation. Hopefully I'll never have that but one never knows. I hate the idea of drilling holes in my new machine also but at the same time, if I do a clean install, it shouldn't matter...unless I decide to sell it and keep the winch. Hmmmm.
Cheers,
cc

Trending Topics

Old 06-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Range Rover

Put the remote on if you've got it. It should be an easy task to drill the hole and mount the connector. One day when you're all alone trying to winch yourself out you'll be glad you did. I also think it makes it easier to rewind the winch cable properly.

My RT25 doesn't have one, but I'm definitely thinking of adding one. Concerned about wireless (batteries can die and unit can get lost) so I may get the cable if it'll work.

As for cutting the power cable - wait until you see your contactor, some of them drop right on (like mine). I think it depends on if you get the right kit for your quad. A buddy of mine almost had to cut his because he got a Kawasaki branded kit to install on his Polaris. Then he realized that he got the Kawaski mounting plate too, so he returned it.

I'm not sure about the XP's but on the older models, taking off the storage box and body plastic make for a quicker installation.

Good luck.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by MickJP
I also think it makes it easier to rewind the winch cable properly.

Excellent point Mick! That's it, I'm mounting it!
Cheers,
cc

Old 07-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider
Arrow

Originally Posted by Dublin
Excellent point Mick! That's it, I'm mounting it!
Cheers,
cc
Pics when you're done would be GREAT! That might just give me the confidence to mount mine.

Good luck...

biz

Quick Reply: Warn RT30 Contents/Install