Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 polaris trailblazer 250 PROBLEM!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 polaris trailblazer 250 PROBLEM!

So, I seem to have what I think is a unique problem. Or atleast no one has asked this question as far as I have found. I have two 2000 Polaris Trailblazer 250's. We bought them brand new back in 1999, we used them up until about 2004, and then life got busy. To make a long story short, I took the carb off, cleaned it out. Quad wouldn't run without the choke on, and wouldn't idle. So, I take the carb off again, and clean out the pilot jet as well as possible. I put the carb back on. Quad will now run without the choke on, but will not idle. I have to sit and play with the throttle to keep it running. The carb is completely cleaned inside and out, all the exhaust tubes are fine, gas is getting in the carburetor, everything is working as it should. It doesn't make any sense. No amount of adjustments on the carb seem to make any difference whatsoever. Can anybody offer me any help?

Old 07-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is the throttle slide and choke/enrichern set correctly? did you replace the fuel filter and clean the tank out as well when you cleaned the carb. you made sure the idle circuit inthe carb was clean as well? how about the float clean,set level? a few ideas for you.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you, but I have tried all of these things. I did NOT replace the fuel filter, but I assure you the fuel getting into the carb is not the problem. Its getting in there fine, and it's flowing beautifully. The float bowl and everything's fine. That was my initial problem when I FIRST went out, I said, "why not give it a try" and poured some gas in. It came pouring out the exhaust tube immediately. That's when I took the carb off and cleaned it out the first time. I'm at a loss here. I'll be perfectly honest, I'm only 16, and I did not grow up working on engines and such. It is a passion shared only with myself, so I don't have much experience, and there's only so much studying you can do before you need experience to advance. Like a fool, the first time, I couldn't get the throttle disconnected from the carb, because a spring inside was stuck to it, so when I would turn it, it would just snap back. that is why I couldn't clean the pilot jet out that well the first time. But, I solved that, and I assure you the carb is cleaned as possible.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the idle circuit as well as the pilot jet and throttle slide would all effect how it idles. if its getting too much gas and the float is fine, maybe the enrichner is sticking open and not seating. did you do a compression test on it to see what it is?

Old 07-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

i would say its going to be either the compression is low from stuck rings (depending on what kind of conditions the bike was stored in. like out in the weather or in a barn somewhere) or the seals on the bottom end are dried up/stiffened up in one position and not sealing the crankcase and creating the vacuum needed for these 2 strokes

Old 07-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

My first thought is that you could have a bad spark plug all fouled out from trying to get this thing running.

My second thought is that you could have an air leak somewhere in the intake... or in the case seals. This would be leaning it out, so it would run better with the choke on.

My third thought would be a leaky needle and seat inside the carb. Check for this first, as it is very easy. If you have some fuel in there, pull it out in the sun, then slide a pie pan or anything under where that bowl drain tube comes down. Leave the fuel on and just let it sit there. If it starts leaking out that overflow tube, you have a leaky needle and seat, which is overflowing the bowl and flooding you out...

To repair this for a reasonable price, check sledpartsguy on ebay for a rebuild kit.
Those usually run about $20 as opposed to $40-$60 just for the needle and seat through the dealer. Crazy price for 2 tiny parts.

Also check us out over at Gen 3 USA forums... lots more info for us over there.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

Etc ??

Old 07-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by drlang
Etc ??
Hey... now there is a new thought... it could be the electronic throttle control.

It's real easy to check too... just take the top cover off the throttle box on the bars.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys, I got it! I'm just an idiot. Sorry to waste your time haha.

Stendori was right. Idle Circuit. Problem was the same on both bikes. Only problem was, I couldn't access it, and because of my lack of knowledge, could not even locate it haha.

Cleaned it out, and blew it out with my friend's compressor. (Mine broke a couple weeks ago, plus his is WAY better)

Anyways, my bikes are up and running and we're heading out this Saturday.

Thanks again, and I'm super excited :]

Old 07-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Run them around some close-by before you haul them out saturday.

You want to get them through a few heat cycles and check everything over some more to make sure you don't have any problems from dried out and cracked stuff.

Quick Reply: 2000 polaris trailblazer 250 PROBLEM!