Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Explain Clutching?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Explain Clutching?

So I just bought a new clutch kit and got in install, works fine and all is well. But, what did the parts I installed actually do?

Had 56g weights and installed 58g weights. Got a Red/Yellow Spring to replace Blue/Green. Anyways, how does higher/lower spring pressures and heavier/ligher weights effect how it reacts on the primary?

Also I got a Team roller secondary. How does the Helix angle and the spring pressure in there affect things?

Or is there some reading material I could find on the web that explains all this?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Aaens clutch tuning manual

Old 07-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even with Aaens clutch tuning guide it takes years to get a complete comprehension of these clutches.Because each piece controls many aspects but mainly just one.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:00 AM
Trailblazer

very complicated issue.... aaens tuning book is nuts...clutches work on cintrifical force.....the heavier the weight the higher ingagement... and the spring changes rpm ranges....this will allow the engine to stay more in the power band range... giving you more responsive throttle..... the helix angle and spring helps the clutch up shift and downshift faster.... in all my clutching experience (mainly sleds) but the same.... you have to get you hands on different springs and weights so you can get a set up that you feel good with and works with your riding style....hope this helps this is the most laymans terms i can use....

Old 07-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah that kind of makes sense. I figured I would have to go buy a bunch of springs and weights and just play around and see what happens. I might have to get that book and read it a few times.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:20 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Simpler terms

"Determines rpms" (Example rated rpms 8000)
IF; THEN, Result[s]

Need less rpms; Increase flyweight mass - The TRA lever pushes harder.
Example, IF you reveal 8400 rpms with 40grams flyweight, THEN increase flyweight to 42 grams.

Need more rpms; Reduce flyweight mass - The TRA lever pushes less hard.
Example, IF you reveal 7700 rpms with 43grams flyweight, THEN reduce flyweight to 39 grams.

Here is more reading. How does the clutch system work? - Gates Snowmobile & ATV Belts

Old 07-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

trial and error w/ many parts to try differnt set ups but can be expensive. read the book that ftwflh mentioned.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Trailblazer

So If I want to do some mud drags, what would be the best weight/spring combo? All stock with a K&N air filter.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Trailblazer

Stiffer primary spring and put the 56g weights back in?

Old 08-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

There a lot of variables in clutching. You can ask 5 different clutch companies thier setups and you will get five different combinations. They all might be close in performance just put together different combinations. He is about as simple as it can get, but always remember clutch is usually a game of give and take. And you can change any one part individually but you still have to make everything work together.

Any one part will have a effect on the entire working of the clutch but here are the basics.

Primary Spring will affect the engagement rpms (2 1/2" or 2 1/4" load) and top rpms (1 1/4" load). The lower the load #'s the lower the rpm. The higher the numbers the higher the rpm

Weights are use to fine tune top rpm. The lighter the weights the hight and faster the engine will rev up. The heavy they are the lower rpm. One thing to watch is different profiles of weights can chane the shift pattern also.

Secondary Spring will hold tension on the belt in the secondary and help control how fast the clutches open and close. The stiffer spring provides more belt grip normally and slows down how fast the clutch opens.

Helix angles effect have fast or slow the secondary opens and closes also. The bigger the angles the fast the clutch will open. Usually the bigger the angles the faster the upshift but slow backshift and throttle repsone.

Clutching can be easy if you look at it a piece at a time, the hard part it putting all those peices together to work on what are looking for. In most cases unless you are willing to spend a lot of time, money and effort its easier to but a tested kit from a company you can talk to and work with.

Quick Reply: Explain Clutching?