Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

XP850 dead

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XP850 dead

Our road was getting graded the other day and as the person in charge of maintenance I decided to shoot out on the XP and check out what the contractor was up to......I stopped along the side of the road to talk to him and a neighbor. When I tried to move along, the machine would not start...totally dead! Zero power to the machine...was pretty embarassing, right after I was spouting off about how fast and smooth it is. Luckily it was close to home and my wife could tow me in. It's now in the shop and when I went to take it off the trailer it started right up and I couldn't reproduce it. As I tried, the dealer said, "well now you're just trying to break it". So damn typical. Has anybody else lost total electric power to their XP?

Old 07-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

I have not had that problem ...... you were fortunate to be close to home..... let us know what the dealer does or has to say. That type problem can be tough. Is it possible that perhaps it wasn't all the way clicked into park? kill switch?

Old 07-31-2009, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

YES. Someone flipped the kill switch on and I didn't now it. Finally after a hour I figured it out. Did you flip the kill switch on by accident?

Old 07-31-2009, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same prob with my 850xp turned out to be a loose ground at the battery. It just clicked when I tried to start it.
if you can move the battery terms left or right at all tightn them.

Bob
p.s. I now use liquid electrial tape on the terms.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by CptCrapper
I had the same prob with my 850xp turned out to be a loose ground at the battery. It just clicked when I tried to start it.
if you can move the battery terms left or right at all tightn them.

Bob
Nice. That's what I wanted to hear. It would start again after towing it back to the house and trailering it back to the dealer....so that makes some sense, the vibration created the ground again. I'll call the dealer and give them a clue before they rip apart the electronics.

I tried everything....kill switch and every other switch to make sure it wasn't user error.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

I’m sure that was an embarrassing moment for you. I have a similar story…I bought a new 550 XP from the dealer a month ago. When I went to pick it up, it wouldn’t start, but they had just ran it an hour earlier. They had installed a winch a day earlier and didn’t tighten the high current cable connections. These are near the starter solenoid and carry the battery current from the battery to the engine starter. Once they tightened the connections, everything was fine. They were also a little embarrassed!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

that same problem happened to me.About 35 miles from no-wheres-ville northern Maine. Same conclusion just a very loose battery connection

Old 08-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Hope they find the problem and fix it. Electrical problems are a bear.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Hope they find the problem and fix it. Electrical problems are a bear.
Called them yesterday for an update:

Fixed loose ground wire. I will get the exact location later today. I'd say folks with XPs should check your battery cables every now and again as part of regular go-over before you hit the trail.

Crankcase relief valve recall: Parts are now back-ordered since so many have gone in for the swap. Should have the new valve in a couple of weeks. Only a winter plowing issue for me, but glad it's getting fixed.

Rear drive popping: Polaris is shipping the parts for the dealer to swap out; no questions asked.

Going for a rip this afternoon. Hot as hell here in ME today. First real sweaty summer day we've had. Going to try and keep her out of the 5' deep mud pits this time.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by CptCrapper
Bob, Is liquid electrical tape something I can get at a local electric supply house....box stores....? Have not used a product like that before.