Rear (stock) cargo box space projects

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear (stock) cargo box space projects

All,

I remember from time to time certain folks removing their stock cargo box on their
Sportsmans to make room for a rear mounted winch or receiver hitch of some other
du-dad.

Any other inventions you want to show off to us for some ideas?

I'll start with an idea and don't know if anyone has done it yet, but I would like to install
a small 12v air compressor directly wired into the electrical to be able to turn on and off Vs. when plugged in. And it would be nice to be able to roll out the hose or make a quick attach and disconnect for trail use of inflating the tires. Anyone done that or have approaches with this kind of project?

I hear the new 2010 CAN-AMs have the built in air compressor?

Cheers,

R'

Old 08-04-2009, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

Hmm, I haven't heard of the Can Am deal, but I think a compressor would be handy, but I was thinking, and the wiring wouldn't be very hard since your so close to the battery, but I don't know where you could put the hose, I think a retractable reel would be to big and vunerable, inless you bought a premade one that is already in a metal box, but the more I think about it, you would only need a couple geet of hose, so I guess you could put it in the front box or somewhere else

Old 08-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider

I just did a little research on the Can Am, and it looks like the Outlander Max LTD, has Fox air shocks, that are like air bags on your pick up for trailers, and leveling and such, the compressor is used to keep the shocks at the same level and adjustable on the fly

Old 08-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Interesting Idea

I like the idea of having a compressor in that space. I just keep a small portable unit in the front compartment.

My own thoughts would be that rather than removing the stock Polaris compartment, I'd keep it and mount the small compressor inside and hardwire it in. This way a person doesn't have to worry about the compressor getting full of mud/water and not being able to function properly... or a stone getting kicked up and turning on the compressor while riding. As for a hose, I could see the use of the small diameter self coiling hose that would retract (coil up) and you would just tuck it all inside the Polaris compartment... perhaps something like a 10 to 15 foot reach would work and still fit inside the box.

Just my $.02 worth.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I like your idea for mounting it in the existing cargo box but doesn't it need open air for the motor Vs. sealed box? Also, once I can figure out a creative way to mount my portable compressor in the box, and hard wire to the electrical what would I use to a quick disconnect for the air hose? The one on the compressor is permanent, it would be neat if they have out there an adaptor to put on for a longer length hose.

Thoughts?

R'

Old 08-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I guess I was envisioning that when a person wants to use the compressor, you just open the rear compartment door and then remove the precoiled hose that is already attached to the compressor. Something like this: Coiled Air Hose Assembly - Hoses - Pneumatics & Hydraulics : Grainger Industrial Supply

Leaving the door open during use should supply all the required air. Because a relatively low volume air compressor is only needed for inflating tires, I thought the use of one of the small 12 volt compressors from the likes of Slime would handle it. Something similar to this: Slime COMP04 - Portable 12-Volt Inflator

I'd venture that a simple coupler of some sorts could be devised to splice the coil hose to the existing hose if need be. Otherwise, taking the cover off the compressor might reveal that the the existing hose is attached to the compressor via nothing more than a simple hose clamp or possibly a threaded connector. All depends on the compressor you buy I guess.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Thats exactly what I want to do is just what you said Fballfan.

So who's gonna guinea pig here? lol...lol

In terms of money its nothing, I can make use of what I have minus a fabricating
a mounting bracket and some electrical parts and hose, I have left over 16 gauge
wire from my horn project (another fun one to do!).

This seems like a fun project and it would have huge payoffs!

Regards,

R'

Trending Topics

Old 08-06-2009, 01:17 AM
Range Rover

I just keep one of the small slime compressor kits in the storage compartment along with a plug kit, tool set, toilet kit, headlamp, etc.

8 feet of wire is more compact than the same length of air hose!

Seems like a waste to dedicate all this space to just a compressor - how big do you need it to be?