Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Be safe atving my friends

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never rolled but 4 days ago my l/s strut went out on a hard right and it sent me into a rock big enough that my 700 didn't move it at 35mph. I flew over the bars and cleared a 10 foot tree but just got scrapes (me and quad thank god)

HOPE YOU HAVE A QUICK RECOVERY!
Matt

Old 08-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by FunRide
A contractor was over this morning finishing up some work.....He told me about a good Canadian friend who died a couple weeks ago. The guy's intention was to ride his utility ATV down this bank, across a small creek and up the other side, as he'd done 10x before. Something went wrong this time.....Search and rescue found him pinned under the machine with his head underwater when the big rig rolled over on him. He was riding alone. They could see the tracks where he made it about 1/4 way to the top and it came back over on him. The muddy bottom didn't give him anything to push against, and he drown. Guy had a wife and a single child.

Strange thing was, I mentioned nothing about ATVs or riding. He just brought it up out of the blue, while moments earlier I was reviewing in my mind assorted dumb *** things I've done on ATVs and dirt bikes over the years.

I'm not advocating being some kind of panzy when you're out riding, but major "risk mitigation" is something everybody needs to keep in the front of their heads. The miscalculations can be so severe. It's easy to forgot that there's a lot more going on in your life than just you.
Sad story - it says a lot for riding with a buddy. I usually go out riding with my son - me on the Wolverine and he on his Honda 230 two wheeler. It gives me piece of mind that in the event something goes south mechanically or physically, there's a buddy there for you. Also, with him being 15, I hope I'm passing on some riding responsibility to him. (oh yeah, I have to carry his gas in my quad's trunk!) - not trying to get all warm and fuzzy here, I guess I'm just saying it's a good to ride with somebody else for a lot of reasons.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by FunRide
A contractor was over this morning finishing up some work.....He told me about a good Canadian friend who died a couple weeks ago. The guy's intention was to ride his utility ATV down this bank, across a small creek and up the other side, as he'd done 10x before. Something went wrong this time.....Search and rescue found him pinned under the machine with his head underwater when the big rig rolled over on him. He was riding alone. They could see the tracks where he made it about 1/4 way to the top and it came back over on him. The muddy bottom didn't give him anything to push against, and he drown. Guy had a wife and a single child.
I had something similar happen where I rolled the ATV in a creek and was pinned under water for a time. Incredibly frightening. Like the unfortunate fellow in the story it was near a spot I cross the creek a couple times a day. Took a bit of a different line so I could clear some debris which were blocking the crossing and it happened.