Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

99 400 2 stroke smokes after carb rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Well, I checked the "counter balance" and the oil was milky white. Poured a half quart of oil through it to flush it out. Checked the exhaust and it was damp. I checked my carb boot (attached to the air box) and it was compromised. It was allowing outside air to come through a gap. Ordered new boot and want to see if that was the culprit in regard to the smoking. I do have it in mind to get the seals replaced but would rather wait until winter hits. This must be a fairly common mechanical failure in these units. Anyone else have similar situations? Thanks for information. Will let you know outcome. Nick
Carb Boot...
If you have ever looked at the area while the engine is running, you'll be expecting to replace that one day, because of the amount of movement.

If anything, that should add more air and lean you out.
Probably zero relation to your problem.

Counterbalance Oil...
Well, I hate to be the one, but I have to be the bearer of good and bad news...

The good news is, you probably caught it early... the bad news is, there is only one way to get the oil milky... WATER... And only 3 ways to get it in the counterbalance oil...

1- Condensation... which I would think would take a long time...
2- The vent tube that runs out of the case, up over into the left top frame tube.
3- From the water pump.

Most likely though, it is the water pump.

I'm sure you are not cleaned out either, unless you have filled, ran a couple minutes, drained... and repeated several times. So do that.

Also, while you are at it, open all the drains. I know the crankcase drain is a real pain, but open it.

Now, the really bad news is that this can't wait until winter to fix... unless you can wait until spring to ride again... or unless you have a grand or so laying around to put into the engine...

Why?... Because bottom end bearings are exposed to the water contamination... NOT GOOD. Some of them if it's only in the CB... all of them if it's getting over in the crank case.... which it could be because of the smoke... in the case, in the fuel, through the cylinder and out the exhaust. BAD!!!

The CB is actually located across the front, parallel to the crank... it's like a gearbox and has an output shaft that drives the water pump... which is inside the cavity you pour the CB oil in. I'd say the seals there are leaking.

Yes, I would say this is a common failure. Folks just don't discuss it. And I think most "have it fixed" so I have not found a how-to.

I will be fixing mine though, as I do not have the disposable grand to throw at a full rebuild I would rather do right now.

So I will be posting a "shadetree how-to" on it to remedy the lack of info.

Here are some diagrams to put a picture with my explanation...

Attached Thumbnails 99 400 2 stroke smokes after carb rebuild-engine-diagram.jpg   99 400 2 stroke smokes after carb rebuild-engine-water-pump.jpg