Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Strapping down your XP

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tie mine down on the frame and rock it back and forth a little to get out any slack. I also have the straps pulling fwd and back. The straps connecting to the back of the frame connect to the front tie downs and the front frame straps connect to the back tie downs. It is locked in there very securely imo.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also use the safety chain location. I use one strap on the front and one on the back. I took another hook and threaded it on to each ratchet strap. I hook the "middle" hook to the safety chain location and put one hook on one frame rail on the trailer and the other hook to the opposite frame rail. It forms a V shape. This method compresses the suspension and "stretches" the quad pulling against the other strap. Front strap pulls quad forward, rear strap pulls rearward. Simple, quick and flawless.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

ya I tie mine down thru the front tow loop and the rear loops on the hitch, BTW It looks like you have a PJ trailer? If so I hook my rear straps on the back ramp angle iron, inbetween the trailer and ramp when the ramp is up

Old 09-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Hotdogmb
I have a 1 1/4 inch draw bar, which fit's in the receiver hitch, that I use for towing and use that to tie the bike down at the rear. Then I use the winch to pull the bike tight to the front of my trailer. I also use a saftey chain from the front of the bike to the trailer. Just in case.
My buddy is a insurance adjuster and he claims alot of quads hit the pavement because they were relying on the winch to hold the quad on the trailer. Be careful! Thats how he got his new Rhino

Old 09-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider
Thumbs up Mad Dog to the rescue!

Originally Posted by Daledo
think they are referring to the small holes on either side of the hitch receiver similar to the ones on a truck receiver
Holly smoke! How the heck did I miss that?!?! Seriously...I never did notice those. Ok...after running down to see my XP in the garage, YES...that is a great spot for attaching the rear.

However, I went one further...and just purchased this hitch setup from Mad Dog (see link). Really like the 3 way function...and will fit my needs perfectly!

1 1/4 Three Way Ball Mount

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

biz

Old 09-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
Arrow

Originally Posted by Jomax
ya I tie mine down thru the front tow loop and the rear loops on the hitch, BTW It looks like you have a PJ trailer? If so I hook my rear straps on the back ramp angle iron, inbetween the trailer and ramp when the ramp is up
YES...it is a PJ trailer. I'll look into your recommendation. Thanks!

biz

Old 09-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!

Anybody that is using a newer type snowmobiling trailer which has the center thread in holder for the sled skies can install a thread in eye bolt there and just usee two small chains with latch hooks on them.
I hook one end to the eye hook and one end to the front tow hook on the Quad and simply back up until the quad squats a little bit.

Then just ratched strap the back.
I will not trust any straps on the front, If a strap breaks on the rear the Quad will still stay on the snowmobile trailer, But if you loose a strap on the front of the wheeler,........It has lots of room to roll backwards........Caper........

I put a pic in the next post for you to see!!!.........

Old 09-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!

Here a pic of the front chains..........Caper..

Attached Thumbnails Strapping down your XP-2008-2009-034.jpg  
Old 09-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Range Rover
Location: Central Valley Ca 1.5 hr to the Sierra Mts & 2 hrs to Pismo Beach

Originally Posted by rkuhnjr
Its never a good idea to tie down above the suspension because when you hit a bump or something the suspension will compress and can cause the strap to just fall off.

Your best bet is to tie down the tires with some tire straps.
ATV Racks.com- Your ATV Accessory and ATV Trailer Source

Do that on the front to.
"Your best bet is to tie down the tires with some tire straps."

This is by far the best way to lock down any quad to the trailer. You can use D rings or the E tract w/ D rings to hold the tire straps. you can find the tire straps at Harbor Freight or search the net. I got mine from some place in Texas. Once you lock one front and one rear tire to the trailer deck you don't have to worry about the quad unless you roll the trailer. It is strange at first when you look back at the quad as you go down the road, you will see the quad bounce up and down and rock side to side. I have tried too many times to crank a ratchet strap tight enough to hold, only to have it come lose on the first big bump. I have used the tire straps on many different trailers.

Tire Bonnets, cargo control products from S-line

Tire Bonnets

Old 09-05-2009, 05:57 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i go w/ the center bolt as caper mentioned as well but i use my winch(have for years w/out fail or back spool) and 2 straps on the back. the key is to have the straps at equal pulling lengths as i had a ratchet and a pull style strap on the back and hit a bump somewhere and lost one of them because one of them had more play. of course the biggest problem was where on this trailer(construction trailer) it was located. wheelers w/ the park gear are great and if not the parking brake works good as well w/ strapping it down.

Quick Reply: Strapping down your XP