Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Strapping down your XP

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I towed over 6 1/2 hours on my trip in July (one way)and never had any issues with the Quads comming loose!
Like Stendori said...Park gear and the locking hand brake really help also!!

Old 09-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Like the idea!

Originally Posted by Jomax
ya I tie mine down thru the front tow loop and the rear loops on the hitch, BTW It looks like you have a PJ trailer? If so I hook my rear straps on the back ramp angle iron, inbetween the trailer and ramp when the ramp is up
Jomax, You are completely right about the rear tie-down location on my PJ Trailer! Went trail riding today...and tried it out. Perfect suggestion! One connection at the angle iron of the ramp...and the other on the rear loop. Worked GREAT! Much thanks...

Also...I want to Thank all the folks that took the time to reply. I will be researching all the links and suggestions...and making the changes necessary to keep my machine safe while towing.

biz

Old 09-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BPM
I tie mine down in the rear were the safety chains would go if you were pulling a trailer.
Guys,

When I first got my '00 SP500, I also used the "tow loops" in the front of the frame to secure the front of the machine to the trailer. One lash strap per loop, two total on the front (and two in the rear). I'm just going to forewarn you guys that BOTH of my front "tow loops" broke (as in ripped off the frame) in less than three years, and ~5000 miles of trailering. I also thought this was the ideal place to strap to... and this was with using lash straps, not even ratchet straps!

I now tie down to both tube bumpers, two straps on both front and rear, trans in neutral, parking break on. Haven't had an issue in the last 5+ years this way - just need to check your straps periodically (which you should be doing anyway, regardless of tie down method).

I agree with the people who say the tire straps are best. After hauling quads on trailers for 10 years, I can see the sense in that. The only trade off I can see is flexibility if you haul different quads, in different positions, on different trucks/trailers.