Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400 2strk-High idle when warm.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 2strk-High idle when warm.

98 xplorer 400. When I ride for a while and get the motor warmed, at a stop it idles a little high. I started to notice it last winter, when snow plowing, and doing all the shifting I'd have to let it idle down for 5-7 seconds before shifting. I don't want to make it sound like it's real high, just high enough you don't want to shift gears. It'll always idle down, just takes a bit sometimes. Thoughts?

Old 09-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Have you ever rebuilt the carb? Your Pilot jet circuitry is a main factor at idle, and pilot jet might be the issue. Other possible area's could be the crank seals leaking

Old 09-12-2009, 05:09 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check for a small air leak or maybe start of a cracked carb boot. sometimes if its leaking(sucking air where its not supposed too) it will cuase a higher rev and does take a while to odle back down.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

Went through a few things today....sprayed the carb boots with ether to check for a leak/crack. No change in RPM, so I ruled that out. Carb itself has never given me a fit, good power, good rpm range and it's always run good so I ruled out the carb/clogged jets since it's only happening when warm.

I took the throttle cover off and watched the cable after reving it...when cold it retracted ok, but when warmed up good it would stick for the last little bit and retract slowly. I checked the cable, slide, spring...a few things jumped out at me. Where the cable goes into the carb it was kind of kinked, not really but not coming straight up off the carb. I pulled the cable and noticed it was a little "greasy" as well. I sprayed carb cleaner through it, worked the cable, sprayed some more till it came out clean. I let it dry and used cable lube. I pulled the carb spring and stretched it a bit as it seemed a little weak as well. When I pulled the slide it looked good, not worn and the interior of the carb itself didn't have any wear, so I ruled out the slide. When I installed the cable it I zip tied the cable so it comes straight up off the carb, at least better than it was.

I think it was a combo of all the above, dirty, "kinked" cable, when it got warm it got sticky. Stretching the spring helped as well. Now, the throttle retracts right back cold or warm...no more "high idle". The throttle just feels better now, more responsive, feels "new".