"Official Site Skeptic"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the noise I'm hearing. Crap !

Old 09-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Mongrol
Thats the noise I'm hearing. Crap !
So you verified you have a balljoint loose in the knuckle? If so, let me guess your machine was built on or after May of this year? I have yet to see one report of that with the old ball joint part numbers. Someone said that the old style balljoints won't work with the new a-arms but I can't swear to that...if the oldstyle balljoints will work you might want see if you can have them installed when they replace the knuckle.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Yes, that was the vid HO.

So, they went to a new ball joint? Probably a cheaper one? Those b@sterds!

Old 09-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Yes,they changed ball joints and a-arms. I started getting suspicious when these issues started popping up all of a sudden here after the middle of the year and sure enough there is a new ball joint and a-arm part numbers...so far everyone with issue that I have asks has the "New" ball joints. Jomax on HL pm'ed me about his and we started talking,I expressed waht I suspected and he just so happens to have the right tools to do accurate measuring...he confirmed the new ball joints are slightly smaller diameter than the old part number. I was told the old ones are gold anodize colored and the new ones are silver/chrome looking,but the one in that vid looks gold colored. I know the old ones are gold anodizem,but can't swear the new ones don't come in gold too. Anyway,apparently the new ball joints do not get "pinched" properly when the pinch bolt is tightened according to his measurements. IIRC the story correctly they replaced his new style bad ones with a mix of old style and new style and replaced the knuckels...right away the new style started loosening up again. But the old style did not. He end up wrapping the new style ball joint shaft in .001" Stainless shim stock and so far so good. He couldn't get that shim in with the old style...they are a larger diameter. Not by much, .001 or so but apparently enough to make a difference. In any case after alot of trial and error and measuring Jomax agrees...the "new" ball joints are to blame. IMO they need to scrap the alum kniuckles and pinch bolt style ball joints,and go to cast knuckes and interference fit tapered ball joints. The XP could stand a pound or 2 up front without any ill affects IMO.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:46 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE
So you verified you have a balljoint loose in the knuckle? If so, let me guess your machine was built on or after May of this year? I have yet to see one report of that with the old ball joint part numbers. Someone said that the old style balljoints won't work with the new a-arms but I can't swear to that...if the oldstyle balljoints will work you might want see if you can have them installed when they replace the knuckle.
My product id sheet is dated 4/21/09. Was there a parts change after that?

Old 09-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Mongrol
My product id sheet is dated 4/21/09. Was there a parts change after that?
Well according to the parts fiche the a-arms were changed in March and the balljoints in May....but who knows. Are the balljoints gold or silver? And have you confirmed there is play in them? If so you might just be the 1st pre-May machine I know of(waiting to see when the guys in the vid was built)

BTW what is a product sheet? The build date is on a sticker on the frame tube under the front right fender.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:05 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

The ball joints are Gold anodized & I can't confirm any movement yet, just noise.

THe product id sheet comes from Po with the vin & engine model # along with serial & lot # for frame, steering box, transmission, & fuel tank.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Good work HO. This stuff should be a "sticky" on the forums.

Was any of this suspect to using offset wheels (aftermarket), or in this case, Tracks? Or is it simply the error in machining?

Old 09-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Roofer
Good work HO. This stuff should be a "sticky" on the forums.

Was any of this suspect to using offset wheels (aftermarket), or in this case, Tracks? Or is it simply the error in machining?
Well...maybe it was good work,depending on that latest case on HL and waht his build date is and now possibly Mongrols machine.
I think the majority of cases I have seen are actually stock wheeled machines,including Jomax.

Mongrol...don't despair check and make sure that is what you are hearing and let us know. I really want to say it isn't going to be what you are hearing.and I hope I am right lol.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:28 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Tep, me too! But it sure sounds like the vid. Can't blame aftermarket wheels or Tracks (YET) on mine at least.

Quick Reply: XP Noise ? ?